Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a little time to play with the new lathe. We had a birch tree cut down in our yard almost a year ago. I had them leave the trunk in 3 foot sections. Today I cut into one to see what I had. They are a little punky but I am not totally disappointed. Tomorrow I will rough out a few more and set them out to dry. I am thinking about trying the boil then dry method. Any one have any feed back on that? I did read about it on one website that says it cuts down the cracking a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
boiling and alcohol just seemed like to much hassle to me. Put it in a bag to dry and have fun roughing out more. It won't take that long for them to dry so you can finish turn one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't worry much with cracking-- it does or not. If it's small cracks and not a structural issue-- CA glue. Larger cracks and voids get epoxy/inlay--considering possible structural issues.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. I have been piling them in shavings from the dry bowls and saw dust in paper bags. Some in just paper bags. If that works then I will save on the propane. I think i had some cracks early on because I didn't know or register the idea of getting rid of the pith. They are doing better these days. Still don't always know for sure how much to cut out but I am getting better at making good choices ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I wasn't going to do any thing with the smaller pieces. I'd gladly give them to someone who wNts spslted mushrooms :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also like the spalted birch. Watch out if using it for goblets or wine glasses though. I found out the hard way it'll shift/warp enough, that'll ruin the stem part. I did make boxes and bowls with no issue's though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts