Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type glue for glueing felt to mdf for jewelry box. the flet is 1/16" thick. thanks. carl.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What glue?

Can't tell you how many yards of Royal Blue felt I've installed on Flag boxes, Shadow boxes, Letter opener boxer for the Air Force...the only thing I ever used was Elmer's white glue and never had a problem. I would think the spray would be difficult to control as far as over spray
goes.

Best of luck,

Bandman

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Can't tell you how many yards of Royal Blue felt I've installed on Flag boxes, Shadow boxes, Letter opener boxer for the Air Force...the only thing I ever used was Elmer's white glue and never had a problem. I would think the spray would be difficult to control as far as over spray
goes.

Best of luck,

Bandman
White glue, like Elmers will also work, and will dry clear. If the glue gets to saturate the felt, it will make it hard and crusty, and possibly create some discoloration. When I've used it I brush a very thin coat on the substrate, and let it flash dry for a minute or so, and then carefully smooth it out. Covering loose panels that can be installed after covering gives it a finished look. There are no ragged edges to worry about.

So, the spray adhesive can be used on the loose panels, and there's no overspray to get on the box parts.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Elmer's white or most other carpenter's glues will be fine. Just don't lay it on like jam, OK? Too much, and you can expect some translucent spots in the felt which disappear as the glue dries/set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts