Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to insist that my wife come into work when she is legitimately sick.

On Thursday, my wife was diagnosed with the flu. Influenza-type b to be exact. Now my wife is not one to complain about getting sick. She is a tough bird, and usually just does what she needs to, in order to keep going. She has 3 jobs... she works at one of my daughters school as a "lunchroom supervisor," (lunch lady). She also cuts hair at a salon that specializes in kids cuts (each station has a tv that is hooked up to a dvd player and playstaion). She also has a mobile cutting service to go to homes where the people can't go out to get their hair cut (elderly, disabled people, etc.).

My wife being the tough bird, told her boss (from the kids salon) on Thursday, what she had, and thought that she would be able to work today, after resting up over the weekend. Well, let me tell you, my family did EVERYTHING this weekend, hoping to help her get better. She even commented last night that, " Boy it sure is nice getting this mini vacation, even though I feel terrible." Well, this morning, when she is still knocked down from the flu, she called her boss to inform her that she still was not going to be able to work, and that our family doctor told her that she was supposed to limit all interactions with kids for a week. Her boss's response was, "I go to work sick all the time! DEAL WITH IT!" I understand that Monday is her boss's only day off, but when you own the business, sometimes you have to

Now, I have never had the flu....I thought I did many times, when I had fluids and what not coming out of both ends, but that is NOT the flu. That is just a stomach virus. What my wife has is worse. I can't believe that her boss wants her to go into work in her contagious state, and potentially get the kids/parents sick with this flu. This is unreal.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Have your wife ask the Doctor for a letter stating that she can not be near children for a week, or until the flu is better. You go pick it up and take a copy to her boss. Then if the boss starts trouble, you and the wife could end up owning the business. No boss can demand that a person come to work when they are sick. I would think that the county health inspectors and or/ laws prohibit sick people from cutting children's hair.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It is highly irresponsible for sick adults to work with children. It sound as if the boss is astoundingly ignorant of basic infectious disease principals or would rather make children sick for a few bucks. A few days is not enough to recover from the flu. According to the CDC you wife will be contagious for 5-7 days after first feeling ill.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have your wife ask the Doctor for a letter stating that she can not be near children for a week, or until the flu is better. You go pick it up and take a copy to her boss. Then if the boss starts trouble, you and the wife could end up owning the business. No boss can demand that a person come to work when they are sick. I would think that the county health inspectors and or/ laws prohibit sick people from cutting children's hair.
My wife did go see our doctor today, because she feared she had strept throat on top of the flu.... She did, so they are treating her for that as well. She told the doctor about her "problem" with her boss, and the doctor did write a note for my wife, stating the earliest day she could go to work is Thursday, if she shows drastic improvement. My wife then offered the note to her boss, and the boss said she didn't need it.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,386 Posts
Your wife needs to go into work and give her boss a big wet contagious kiss. Swap spit and share the virus and when her boss calls her to demand that she come to work because her boss is sick, your wife can say, "I came into work when I was sick. DEAL WITH IT!!!"
:yes:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
My god, some people just don’t get it even after hearing all the warnings on the news asking people not to expose it to others. Stuff like this just infuriates me. :censored:

I don’t get the flu much anymore because I’m nuts about getting flu shots, but when I do get it I am completely incapacitated for at least 3 days and I think I would die if I didn’t have my wife to take care of me.

I just don’t think I can survive another case of the flu, so for me it would be a matter of gross negligence for one of my coworkers to come in with the flu, and I hope my family sues if I were to die like that.

Reactions: thegrgyle

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just don’t think I can survive another case of the flu, so for me it would be a matter of gross negligence for one of my coworkers to come in with the flu, and I hope my family sues if I were to die like that.
I really hope this is not a serious comment about attempting to take someone to court over a flu bug that you may have picked up walking down the street, or from family or just by pure bad luck. But you would seriously want your family to sue someone because you catch the flu virus that may or may not be stopped or slowed by having a flu shot. That just amazes me that someone would even think that way. Wonder why we have people winning law suits against fast food restaurants........ WOW, just WOW!!!!

I hope I never step on your freshly mowed grass either. Holy cow.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Then if the boss starts trouble, you and the wife could end up owning the business.

Post sounded sane till this. Hear a lot about people starting a business this way do ya?

What you heard was your wife's boss have was frustration, I understand that, I deal with it daily. Do bosses say stupid crap all the time, absolutely. Can she fire her for being sick absolutely, can your wife not show to work absolutely. Would unemployement get filed, sure, would feeling get hurt yes. It is a free country, no one is forced to work, unemployment laws kick in and we all move forward.

You could fire someone for just about anything, just be prepared to pay the unemployment. I don't know that I would get my hopes up of owning "the business" though.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My whole family gets the flu shot every year, and everytime we get it, they warn us that this is only good for 1 (or 2 this year) specific strains of the flu virus. The docs in the labs take their best educated guess as to which one will be most prevalent, and then concoct the vaccines from there.

Thanks for the support guys. I couldn't believe that her boss was reacting the way she did. This is one reason (of many) why I don't want to own my own business.

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
To answer your question directly, the fact that she owns the business is what gives her the right to make demands of her employees. When you're the boss, you can make whatever demands you see fit to make. If your employees don't like it, they can quit, at which point in time you no longer have the ability to make any demands of them.

While I certainly wouldn't ask an employee of mine with the flu to go in to work (in fact, I've told co-workers to go home because they were sick before. Some listened, some didn't), there's nothing illegal about what the boss is doing. There's nothing you can do to take over the business either. Her boss is a bitch, so the best thing you can do is just listen to your wife complain about her and reassure her that you're on your wife's side. Simple fact of life: Some bosses are bitches. Nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Post sounded sane till this. Hear a lot about people starting a business this way do ya?
Actually I have. It happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year here. People sue their employers over violations in health laws (such as demanding they come in when sick and firing them if they don't obey) and the people end up winning so much in court that the boss is forced to sell to pay the lawyers and the fines. The people often agree to take over to keep the business open and the other employees working while the bubble headed boss has to go find another job. It is rare, but it happens enough to have become case law in Hillsborough County, FL.

I'm happy to hear that the boss finally agreed to let her stay home until she feels better.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I really hope this is not a serious comment about attempting to take someone to court over a flu bug that you may have picked up walking down the street, or from family or just by pure bad luck. But you would seriously want your family to sue someone because you catch the flu virus that may or may not be stopped or slowed by having a flu shot. That just amazes me that someone would even think that way. Wonder why we have people winning law suits against fast food restaurants........ WOW, just WOW!!!!

I hope I never step on your freshly mowed grass either. Holy cow.
I’m not talking about suing someone every time I get sick or even when more than one gets the flu in the same office at the same time. Are kidding me, did you read the story? I’m thinking specifically of the circumstances as was described here. The boss clearly understands the consequences of forcing someone who has been diagnosed with the flu and it was determined that she was contagious by the simple fact that she was advised not to go to work. I'm not a lawyer, but that sure sound like gross negligence and no different than drunk driving.

It’s one thing if someone just picked up the bug and it has not fully hit them yet and another completely different thing when someone is as sick as what Fabian described. When the boss forces them to expose everyone else while fully understanding others are going to get sick then I think they should be held accountable for jeopardizing the health and safety of others. There are laws against this sort of thing. You can’t knowingly expose others to disease.

I see no difference in that than to dump a box of rattle snakes into the office and assume no one is going to get bit.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
When you're the boss, you can make whatever demands you see fit to make. If your employees don't like it, they can quit, at which point in time you no longer have the ability to make any demands of them..
Not when it comes to Health and Safety of the employees. The employer has the responsiability to provide a safe environment for the employees or customers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
johnnie52 said:
Actually I have. It happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year here. People sue their employers over violations in health laws (such as demanding they come in when sick and firing them if they don't obey) and the people end up winning so much in court that the boss is forced to sell to pay the lawyers and the fines. The people often agree to take over to keep the business open and the other employees working while the bubble headed boss has to go find another job. It is rare, but it happens enough to have become case law in Hillsborough County, FL.

I'm happy to hear that the boss finally agreed to let her stay home until she feels better.

Any articles or news coverage?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
My daughter works for a large restaurant chain and she is not allowed to come to work sick by order of the health department. The health department can impose fines on the restaurant so why can’t I sue an employer who forces a sick employee to come into work and possibly infect me?

I had my own business in the ‘80s and I was sued for not providing sanitation facilities for a female employee on a one day job site.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
My daughter works for a large restaurant chain and she is not allowed to come to work sick by order of the health department. The health department can impose fines on the restaurant so why can’t I sue an employer who forces a sick employee to come into work and possibly infect me?

I had my own business in the ‘80s and I was sued for not providing sanitation facilities for a female employee on a one day job site.

Southern California...

·
Banned
39 Posts
This is really something which shouldn’t be done. You can ask your Doctor for a letter mentioning that she can’t be around children for the next one week and you can submit a copy of that letter to her boss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts