Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved into a home with a kitchen island... the island is about 30.5"x50" and is topped with wood with some light (colored) finish. The problem has been that when we set things on it, we are leaving stains.
My plan is to remove the island top and sand it down to remove the stains, then refinish it - but I'm not sure what to use as a finish. I want the refinished surface to be:
1. A safe surface for food prep (no toxic stuff leaching into food and no problems with bacteria)
2. Light colored

Pleae make suggestions and explain what the benefits are to that suggestion...

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
celoftis

·
Registered
8 Posts
finish for top

If your food is going to be in direct contact with the surface the best
topcoating would be butcherblock oil. It is basically just a good grade
of mineral oil. Be sure and apply several coats, as it will soak in pretty
quickly after you have sanded the surface smooth. eezlock

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree...mineral oil is what is recommended by the pros. I use butcher block oil on my butcher blocks (go figure) and it works well. You will need to reapply it often though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used E.V. Olive Oil on mine and have my mom rub it down every month. Works wonderful. MMMM hard 8/4 white maple and olive oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would NOT recommend Olive oil. Vegetable oils do run the risk of going rancid. I have read that Olive oil is somehow different but I would never recommend something I was not completely comfortable with. Especially since there are so many good commercially available product out there.

As a note...Wood is hygro-scopic. It wants to gain or lose moisture depending on the conditions around it. If you put a glass and condensation gets on the top it will ring. Even through urethane finishes give enough time.

If you want a non working top...a pretty wood top...sand it and finish with a urathane or something similar. If you are cutting on the top use a butcher block oil based on Mineral oil like Emmet's Elixir

1 - 5 of 5 Posts