Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall
We have an oak dining table that was modified and is now a coffee table, it had a tung oil finish on it for years.... impervious to ANYTHING, and loved it. But it was a yellow oak and we decided to stain it darker, so we stripped it, stained it and TRIED to put a polyurethane finish on it. We got an orange peel mess. obviously the oil was still in the grain refusing to allow the polyurethane to absorb. Sooooo, we stripped it again and applied tung oil again, about 3 coats. the 3rd coat of (pure) tung oil is still not 100% dry, after 6 weeks, and the finish is very flat. We don't know where to go with this. We would like to finish the table with a satin finish that is dry. Obviously something we can apply over the tung oil. Does anyone have a suggestion for us??? Please help!

In case I didn't explain clearly the steps we have taken, I have listed them below
1. Table had a tung oil finish
2. Stripped and stained table
3. Applied a polyurethane finish, got "orange peel" , but still applied 2 coats thinking it might level out, but it did not
4. Stripped and stained table
5. Applied 3 coats (real 100%) Tung oil, which has been drying for 6 weeks, still not completely dry

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Sounds more like you had silicone contamination instead of orange peel. Did you spray the polyurethane? Silicone would also effect the drying of the Tung oil.
What did you originally use to strip the table and did you wash it down with any solvent before and after stripping and before sanding?

·
where's my table saw?
27,756 Posts
could also be the stain wasn't dry

What type of stain?

Here's the best way to get the right answer.... list the steps, which you have done.
Now list the exact product names and drying times you allowed. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Sounds more like you had silicone contamination instead of orange peel. Did you spray the polyurethane? Silicone would also effect the drying of the Tung oil.
What did you originally use to strip the table and did you wash it down with any solvent before and after stripping and before sanding?
I agree with Rick. You can poly over a pure old oil finish but not over years and years of spray furniture polish.

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
If this looks anything like what happen then silicone is the problem. It's called fisheye. Silicone is a component of aerosol furniture polish and will go all the way through the finish into the wood and won't come off even with paint stripper. If you go to O'reil Auto Parts you can order a product called Smoothie. It's an additive you can put in your finish that will make it flow out. It's silicone itself so be sure to dispose of any sandpaper or rags you use while working the finish with Smoothie in it or you can cause another project to fisheye.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH! Thank you! Yes I feel certain it was silicone contamination as we DID use furniture polish on it, and the reaction looked just like the picture
Sooo, now, on this piece I should get Smoothie and mix it with polyurethane and apply?, what ratio? and will it dry completely?
Wow, furniture polish, who knew....(you did)

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
OH! Thank you! Yes I feel certain it was silicone contamination as we DID use furniture polish on it, and the reaction looked just like the picture
Sooo, now, on this piece I should get Smoothie and mix it with polyurethane and apply?, what ratio? and will it dry completely?
Wow, furniture polish, who knew....(you did)
The ratio depends a lot on how bad the finish fisheyes. I use smoothie in a bottle it used to come in. It's sort of like a bottle you use hand soap in. For the average amount of fisheye one squirt is enough per quart. If it's really bad like the picture it may take three squirts.

I want to remind you again that smoothie is the same stuff they put in furniture polish that caused the problem in the first place so dispose of any paint brush, sandpaper or rags you use with it. I've seen people re-use sandpaper on new wood before and when they go to put a finish on it have problems with fisheye. When I had a refinishing shop I used the foam sanding pads a lot and the pads used with silicone contamination I sprayed with red paint so I would know they were contaminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, will certainly throw away whatever we use to apply or sand. We don't want this problem to happen again!
So after I mix polyurethane with the Smoothie and apply, there will be no problem with the finish drying throughly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts