Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I've been looking at the page somewhat, some incredible stuff on here. You folks that work in molding...awesome stuff. Anyway, I was having a talk on another gathering for mechanics and gunsmiths about Metrology/Calibration, and most by far put zero stock in it. So, I'd like another point of view on the off chance that I could get it. *Overall sentiments about it *Dislikes of the current supplier (no names please) *Anything else you need to include.

Much obliged Everyone!

·
Administrator
David
5,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute complete your profile with first name. You can add your first name to your signature line and also post the link to your company. You may not create a post aimed at selling your products or services, however.

As for the metrology/calibration, there are some very good woodworkers here and many do excellent, high quality work. But I doubt many get to the level you're talking about in accuracy and calibration. Most guys here are happy if they get to 1/64" and many who produce truly amazing projects haven't worked to even 1/32" in years, but their work is outstanding. Getting equipment accuracy down to tolerances of 0.0005" or better is pretty cool but likely not that critical with most woodworking.

David

·
Registered
122 Posts
We use a metrology service in our manufacturing business to create 3D CAD models of castings that were originally designed in the 1960s. Creating new drawings for new tooling would require untold hours of work and would be nowhere close to as accurate as the models created by the metrology service. I see no need for it in my woodworking, but it is invaluable at my job.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts