Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this perhaps is a dumb-sounding question, but it is something I have been wondering about---if you do not do woodworking as a profession, what do you do with all of the furniture and so forth that you build? I mean I know you could build for yourself, but eventually you will run out of room in the house, right? What does one do with the stuff they like to build but do not have any room or real use for? Sell it or give it away?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've built quite a few things for other family members, and sometimes i replace the stuff in the house I've already built with new stuff....generally I'll ask family members if they want some of the old stuff. But now I'm considering (haven't done this yet) building some things and giving it to the local thrift store that runs a food pantry and other family help ministries. Maybe things as small as pens, or as large as card tables and such.

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
you have discovered the weakness!

You start with a small shop with a few tools. You make some projects, and discover you need more tools. You get more tools, make more stuff, and discover you need more wood and a more space for the new tools and wood. You then make more projects , but now your house is already filled with projects and you think you need a larger house. You get a bigger house, and more tools and need more space and so on...... :thumbdown:

In my case I just go vertical and stack things upon one another. I like the things I make as a rule and find them difficult to part with.
So it's a dilemma. Excavate under the shed? Make more sheds? I like having all my tools, so I don't get rid of them easily either.....

There is no easy answer if you get attached to them, like I do. :no:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I give a lot of it away as gifts. It's just fun creating things. I got smart last year. I made 32 pepper mills and lined the back of our kitchen countertop with most of them. We enjoyed them for about 9 months then I gave 25 of them to family and friends at Christmas.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I make my stuff and give it to my wife. I let her decide if she wants to keep it or give it away. I don't sell any of it,I do this for a hobby and if I get into selling it I'm afraid it will feel more like a job then a hobby.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
So this perhaps is a dumb-sounding question, but it is something I have been wondering about---if you do not do woodworking as a profession, what do you do with all of the furniture and so forth that you build? I mean I know you could build for yourself, but eventually you will run out of room in the house, right? What does one do with the stuff they like to build but do not have any room or real use for? Sell it or give it away?

Is this a trick question?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I carve kitchen prep tools, spoons & forks, which I do for sale in 2 stores in the village. I give some away as gifts to friends and family.
Bigger things & wood carvings either get sold or I donante them to charity auctions.
I just finished a cedar umbrella stand, about 8" x 8" x 16" from 1" slabs that I split out of a shake block with a mallet & froe. All 4 sides are carved animal figures. My D1 has what must be the very ugliest tin umbrella stand that I have ever seen. Can you guess who gets the cedar one?

Check out "Frog Pie" in the Showcase(?) forum. I might keep that one.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I never build something I have no use for, I like to build and work in my shop but I'm certainly not going to spend good money on wood for no good reason.
I'm all about selling my wares, and it usually goes about from something I've either built for myself or as a gift. Take the chopsticks
I made last year as an example. I made 5 sets for gifts, and after showing them around to friends and posting them, I ended up selling 37 sets for $25 a set!
Same goes for cutting boards, I made 9 for Christmas gifts and ended up making and selling another 5. I'm not getting rich, but it is paying for my materials and supplies.
The only downside is the bigger items, like bookcases etc..people see my work and really like it, but when asked about a price they usually cringe. I can't give my work away and custom work isn't cheap.
So I generally keep it small.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I'm like a lot of the others. Some is made for me and the wife. Some is made for family. Some is made for friends. Some is sold. Friends get items for slightly more than materials cost.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm like a lot of the others. Some is made for me and the wife. Some is made for family. Some is made for friends. Some is sold. Friends get items for slightly more than materials cost.
What he said.

Facebook has been my friend. I will post something I have made for all of my friends to see. We have four grown daughters and one son. My wife and kids share the pics with their friends, which there are many. And they share with their friends. :)

Word gets around...
Lately I have been turning down requests. And folks post pics of stuff and ask "can you make me one of these?" :eek:

Not too bad for a retired guy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hilarious!

Woodnthings has it about right. Here's the antecdote I've come up with: I've got to use some of this wood to make something to hold this wood so that I can get more wood! Same thing goes for tools: I need a different tool to finish this tool cabinet so I can store more tools! ARGH! It's the old "snake eating it's own tail" bit. I do sell some stuff, but I don't really consider myself a professional. I am deeply intrenched in the local restaurant scene(professional chef of 15yrs), so someone always needs something made, and I can do it cheaper, usually. Other than that, it's like wood said: go vertical. Oh, and if you're already having space problems, then for the love of Pete, don't get into old tool restoration. I know I'm going to be on an episode of "Hoarders" any day now... Great question, and great thread!

WCT

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
It seems to me you know why you are deciding to make it in the first place. What is that reason? Are you saying that most of the stuff you make is just because you want to make it as opposed to making it for a family member or as a gift? If so, why?

I mean, suppose you have decided to make an nightstand ... well, why did you decide to make that? If not to put it next to the bed or give it to someone, then what ... to learn how to make it?

I am like that ... there are lots of things I want to learn how to make, but noone has expressed a need or desire for anything. For example, I really want to learn how to make an entryway table with a curved front and a hidden drawer on the side. But we have no need for one, so I need to figure out what I would do with it when it is done. There is a farmer's market nearby where people can sell stuff. I might take it up there and see if someone would buy it.

I guess what I'm saying is that part of the decision process to make something should be knowing what you will do with it when you are done. If you intend to keep it, then you should probably know where you will keep it. If you don't have anywhere to keep it, then you are eventually going to end up with a cluttered space, which is not healthy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems to me you know why you are deciding to make it in the first place. What is that reason? Are you saying that most of the stuff you make is just because you want to make it as opposed to making it for a family member or as a gift? If so, why?

I mean, suppose you have decided to make an nightstand ... well, why did you decide to make that? If not to put it next to the bed or give it to someone, then what ... to learn how to make it?

I am like that ... there are lots of things I want to learn how to make, but noone has expressed a need or desire for anything. For example, I really want to learn how to make an entryway table with a curved front and a hidden drawer on the side. But we have no need for one, so I need to figure out what I would do with it when it is done. There is a farmer's market nearby where people can sell stuff. I might take it up there and see if someone would buy it.

I guess what I'm saying is that part of the decision process to make something should be knowing what you will do with it when you are done. If you intend to keep it, then you should probably know where you will keep it. If you don't have anywhere to keep it, then you are eventually going to end up with a cluttered space, which is not healthy.
I don't do woodworking yet as I am brand-new to it, but I love furniture, and there are a lot of pieces of furniture that I would love to build just for the sake of making them. I wouldn't necessarily have to have any use for them myself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The things I build are no problem. The jigs and fixtures are what turns into shop volume.

I'm getting better at designing multiuse and adjustable things. I'm trying to redesign old jigs and consolidate them. And, I'm trying to throw away ones I don't think I'll use again.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
I don't do woodworking yet as I am brand-new to it, but I love furniture, and there are a lot of pieces of furniture that I would love to build just for the sake of making them. I wouldn't necessarily have to have any use for them myself.
so you and i have that in common. i think the decision making process is not complete until you have also come up with a plan as to what you will do with it when you are done.

is there a flea market in the area where you can sell your stuff? i also like the idea of donating it to a thrift store or charity of some sort that helps people who are down on their luck.

or maybe a consignment shop if you want to get a little money back for it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I always try to reply to the poster using their first name...but since you don't have one, I will just have to shoot blindly into the night! :)

I don't know if you are married or not. But if you are, making something for your sweetie can be the cat's meow. She will love it. That in turn can help when you want to by more tools. :thumbsup:

Some examples include:
A crate made from recycled pallet boards.
A simple cutting board or bread serving board for the kitchen.
A cosmetics organizer.
A toy box or blanket chest

Browse Etsy for ideas. Shoot for things you can build with your existing tools. Keep them small. That way if you screw it up, you aren't out much.

Here are a couple of pics. Maybe you will get some inspiration from them. Next thing you know someone else will be wanting one or two. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
What do I do with the stuff? Use it.

I only build when something is needed for my household or one of my families households. I do not build just to be building.

George

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I sell at a local farmers market and a couple of craft fairs. I also have a local wine store that sells items for me. He gets 25 percent of the sale. I have a couple of other options where they get 30 percent.
Tom

1 - 20 of 38 Posts