Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Since all of my work is done outside, I really only use DC cause I'm too lazy to sweep the saw dust off the carport. :laughing: Even so, I have a 5 gallon Dust Deputy on both of my shop vacs. The one on the carport sits over a 30 gallon metal garbage and and hooks to the table saw. The one out in the shed is on its 5 gallon pail. Their only use is to stop the filters in my shop vacs from getting clogged.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Leo G said:
Yes. But it may allow the motor to draw to much current. Check the electrical plate for running current and if it exceeds that with the new bag setup you could damage your motor.
I see that some people on line have eliminated the bags altogether and just ducted it out side without problems.

geltz61 said:
Here's a question. If I replace the bottom plastic bag on my doc with another fabric filter bag , using a chip separator before the blower, will the added filter bag help increase the air flow?
I think that's a great idea. I run a separator before my bags and the bags never never need cleaning for a long time. Your cfm will stay up even though your container is full of chips. Don't think you will have a problem with the blower. If anything it will run much cooler.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Al B Thayer said:
I think that's a great idea. I run a separator before my bags and the bags never never need cleaning for a long time. Your cfm will stay up even though your container is full of chips. Don't think you will have a problem with the blower. If anything it will run much cooler. Al Nails only hold themselves.
What size pipe do you run into your separator, I'm thinking 4" instead oh 2. 1/2".

Run as large of a pipe as you can. If your DC has a manifold on it that reduces the inlet to 4", I would take off the manifold and run pipe the size of the actual inlet and then drop to 4" at each machine. Running a large pipe will allow for less CFM loss in your set up. Small piping, and curves are restrictions and will reduce CFM.

Dust collection is probably the most important thing in the shop as far as tooling goes. Currently I am running a 2300 CFM single stage unit with two 1 micron pleated filters, and I have converted the single stage system to two stage by adding a 55 gallon seperator. I run 7" pipe to all my machines and reduce it to 4" at each machine. This still is not enough and I am going to be adding a 4.5 hp cyclone two stage DC to my system. I also run a Laguna air filter that hangs from the ceiling in my shop. Dust collection is very important to me.

Mike Darr

geltz61 said:
What size pipe do you run into your separator, I'm thinking 4" instead oh 2. 1/2".
Your going to want to run 4" trunk line or main line. Remember DC works best if volume is flowing. Use Ys instead of Ts. As you mate up to your tools you may need to reduce the size. But for a planer, jointer or table saw 4" will work best.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

I see that some people on line have eliminated the bags altogether and just ducted it out side without problems.
Depends on your motor. Some motors can draw twice the plate current and heat up to much and melt the insulation and let the magic smoke out. Others don't have any issues.

I vent my Oneida Dust Gorilla outside without issue.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.