Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Horsepower and CFM don't matter very much at all.
You need to realize that collecting the lumps and chunks doesn't matter either.
It's the sub-micron fines that will kill your lungs. That alone is what needs collecting.

I run a drum sander in my drill press. With that, I shape abalone shell and slate as inlay in many of my wood carvings. The setup throws the dust straight into the pickup horn (1/2" away) on the end of my ShopVac hose with a plaster fines bag in the can. I really don't care about any crud that I can see.

Next experiment will be some sort of 5 gal bucket hookah setup. That way the dust hits/bubbles up through the water before the ShopVac.

It's the velocity of the air that determines if the dust settles out, stays suspended, or is even picked up at all, so velocity is important. CFM is related to the velocity by the size of pipe (and a few other things). Bigger pipe will have more CFM for the same velocity (but also requires more HP).

I do a similar setup to BernieL except I have the new JET 1100VX-CK Dust Collector. This thing is amazing, with the cyclone action, basically nothing comes back into my garage. I only run one tool at a time so I just connect it to whatever tool I am using. I have an Dust Deputy cyclone connected to my shopvac, that I run my ROS with and it does a good job also. I am a firm believer in the air deflection cyclone action type system.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
So now that my brain is starting to fry thinking about and studying this, I am looking at the grizzly units with the 2.5 micron bags. I have a jet air filtration unit with a 1 micron filter in it already. I am trying to decide between the 1 to 2 hp units and between the bags or cartrige ones. Also if I want to run a 240 circuit in. The prices are all very close, the 1 1/2 hp bag seems good.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
The 1 hp canister w 1 micron filter w/ 650 or 800 com vs the 1 1/2 hp bag with 2.5 micron with 1300cfm and 110 wiring. Vs the 2 hp with 240volt bag with 2.5 micron with

I am wondering if there's a place to buy better micron bags for my harbor freight unit that anyone knows of?
If you have the option, you could consider venting the DC to the outside. My DC has a permanent place in the shop. It sits in a corner of the house so it's a short run venting it outside. I never have to worry about changing filters, only emptying the drum. I don't know your unit but maybe this is an option you can consider.

If you have the option, you could consider venting the DC to the outside.
I thought of that too. However, an equal amount of outside air will come INTO your shop; so if it's cold out, your shop will get cold (reverse in summer). The heater in my shop barely keeps up when it's real cold out, and if I vented the DC outside, I'd freeze.

Geltz
It's a daunting task to remove as much dust as you can. If your successful you'll probably spend a good amount of money. But if you invest in a good sound system it will likely be with you for a long time. I never heard a guy complain about too much cfm. But everyone complains if it's not enough. Spend your money on the DC and add to it as you can.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

Geltz
It's a daunting task to remove as much dust as you can. If your successful you'll probably spend a good amount of money. But if you invest in a good sound system it will likely be with you for a long time. I never heard a guy complain about too much cfm. But everyone complains if it's not enough. Spend your money on the DC and add to it as you can.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.
+1 :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #33 ·
We'll I took the plung and bought a harbor freight 2hp. Cost $160 with tax. Ordered a 1 micron bag for it for &29 on amazon. Now to get it together. First I have to red rill out the caster holes

geltz61 said:
Because they are not big enough for the bolts. :) not a good start.
you were so close to a great decision I got the 2hp grizzly canister DC 1700 cfm's and I have never needed anything else since. I war a respirator and have a jet hanging from the ceiling to help my lungs but other than that I have been in love with this DC ever since don't ever cheap out on DC it's to important to your health

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Here's a question. If I replace the bottom plastic bag on my doc with another fabric filter bag , using a chip separator before the blower, will the added filter bag help increase the air flow?

Yes. But it may allow the motor to draw to much current. Check the electrical plate for running current and if it exceeds that with the new bag setup you could damage your motor.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.