Woodworking Talk banner

What do you use for dust collection?

6K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Leo G 
#1 ·
Have a hanging jet air filtration system and use 2 different vacs that I hook up to band and table saw. I also have a cheap harbor freight 1hp air unit hooked to my sander and grinder. Still have a lot of dust. My one craftsman vac's filter is about shot and the start switch on the other just died so I by passed it to use it. I am starting to think what is a better solution. I always find my vacs are clogged and the filters need cleaning or I lose suction. What about the dust deputy's are they any good? How does any one else solve this problem what out spending a fortune and using up a lot of space?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Fred Hargis said:
Build a Thein separator, and outfit the vacs with a Gore Clean Stream filter (about $30). Your real problem may be the HF DC. I think that model has a 30 micron bag, so all it's doing is functioning as a dust pump, putting the finest particles back into the shop air. If by chance it has a 1 micron, you're in better shape.
I think you..'re right about the HF unit . It's probably part of the problem. Does the thein separator help that much? I usually have to open the vacs up and shake the dust out of the filter and usually dump it out anyway when it's only a fraction of the way full. Will it lengthen the amount of time in between cleaning the filters? It seems like I have to constantly clean them for good suction.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
geltz61 said:
I think you..'re right about the HF unit . It's probably part of the problem. Does the thein separator help that much? I usually have to open the vacs up and shake the dust out of the filter and usually dump it out anyway when it's only a fraction of the way full. Will it lengthen the amount of time in between cleaning the filters? It seems like I have to constantly clean them for good suction.
I am wondering if there's a place to buy better micron bags for my harbor freight unit that anyone knows of?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Midwest Millworks said:
My baffle is a plywood disc with about a 1/4 of the perimeter opened to allow the dust to fall in the drum. The elbows need to be aimed properly to create a cyclone effect. The larger the drum, the more cfm needed to make it work. I have 2300 cfm, and that reall isn't enough. I will be adding a second unit to my system soon. Mike Darr
I am thinking that I probably need to replace the HF unit. It has a single bag that comes out the side, I think not worth retrofitting. My problem as is usually everyone's is space. I probably need to rearrange my garage shop , with one unit to collect dust and add a baffle unit before it or seperate vacs with the cyclone baffle units before them I think. Open to suggestions.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Here's a question I have, maybe a dumb one, but anyway; if you use a couple of shop vacs at your different workstations that are each around 5hp, are you getting better suction and dust removal than a large unit with 1 to 3 hp that runs to the various stations?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
So now that my brain is starting to fry thinking about and studying this, I am looking at the grizzly units with the 2.5 micron bags. I have a jet air filtration unit with a 1 micron filter in it already. I am trying to decide between the 1 to 2 hp units and between the bags or cartrige ones. Also if I want to run a 240 circuit in. The prices are all very close, the 1 1/2 hp bag seems good.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
The 1 hp canister w 1 micron filter w/ 650 or 800 com vs the 1 1/2 hp bag with 2.5 micron with 1300cfm and 110 wiring. Vs the 2 hp with 240volt bag with 2.5 micron with

Discussion starter · #33 ·
We'll I took the plung and bought a harbor freight 2hp. Cost $160 with tax. Ordered a 1 micron bag for it for &29 on amazon. Now to get it together. First I have to red rill out the caster holes

Discussion starter · #37 ·
What does everyone else use for a separator before their dc? Do you make yours with 4" in and outlets or 2 1/2" ? I think the dust deputy is only for shop vacs?

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Here's a question. If I replace the bottom plastic bag on my doc with another fabric filter bag , using a chip separator before the blower, will the added filter bag help increase the air flow?

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Leo G said:
Yes. But it may allow the motor to draw to much current. Check the electrical plate for running current and if it exceeds that with the new bag setup you could damage your motor.
I see that some people on line have eliminated the bags altogether and just ducted it out side without problems.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Al B Thayer said:
I think that's a great idea. I run a separator before my bags and the bags never never need cleaning for a long time. Your cfm will stay up even though your container is full of chips. Don't think you will have a problem with the blower. If anything it will run much cooler. Al Nails only hold themselves.
What size pipe do you run into your separator, I'm thinking 4" instead oh 2. 1/2".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.