Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so much of this stuff that I don't know just what I do have. I don't wood heat. I really need to clean this stuff out but it just seems so wrong to just throw it in the trash. Most of what I have is either pine or plywood.

Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
Full boards have their own rack, 4' and over but not full pieces have a stand up bin. Select small pieces of hardwoods and things that I feel are worth keeping, go in a loose bin. once the bin is full...thats it.

Pine or plywood..I wouldnt even think twice. Get the weenies.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ya might want to offer up your scraps to someone else. I was burning my scraps...cuz they just pile up. There were burly and curly scraps and I agonized every time I threw them in. On another site I offered them up for free, they pay the shipping and I was overwhelmed with requests from turners who do pens and the like. I have a list now and every time I have a pile I contact the next guy on the list and send 'em out....;) ;) ;)

I sleep better now....:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agonize as well over the scraps .. If something looks like it maybe useful I keep it , otherwise the pyromaniac , I mean SWMBO feeds the fireplace .. Eventually , if the maybe useful isnt used , it gets burned up as well ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm the same way. I take pride in bulding several different sized projects out of the same stock and ending up with a pile of scrap that will fit in a tin can. :thumbsup: (Not that I've ever actually accomplished that, but I've come pretty close! ;) )

I compost what I can unless it's from sheet goods or treaded lumber. Even the ill effects of walnut shavings will break down in a compost pile.

Tiny scraps (quarter-size) go in a bucket and are used for kindling.

Business card size scraps and larger go in a copule of milk crates to be used as fodder for plug cutters, cauls, tiny project ideas, etc. The small drawer fronts on a spice rack I built not too long ago was made from this. When it starts getting too full, I think of a small project to build -- like a toy or something. If I can't think of anything to build and it's really cold, then I might burn it -- but I always feel a little sad when I do...

Long, thin pieces go in a long thin container and I often end up using them as decorative inlays (like on the chess board), shims, etc.

Everything else stays on the wood rack.

BTW, it's probalby not a good idea to burn too much plywood, MDF, or treated lumber unless you want some nasty chemicals floating around...

·
Registered
404 Posts
If ya want some and are willing to pay the shipping charge I'll put ya on the list....;) ;)

I usually send 20 lbs at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts