Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you do with all you shavings? I am lucky enough that I can toss them over the bank back by my pole shed and the rest for the flower gardens.

Jerry

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
I get too much of it. I've tried several ways to get rid of it. You can only use so much of it for mulch. Most of the time I burn it but it burns slow especially if it gets rained on. I kinda have to chuckle when I go into tractor supply and they have it bailed up for sale. One time I put some in my wood stove and it just sit and smoldered. I opened the door to check on it and it exploded burning my eyebrows off. I think maybe I need to build a hopper for my truck so I can dispense it a little at a time as I'm driving down the highway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Depends on the wood. If it's a nice smelling one (cedar, etc), I'll put some shavings into the dog beds or fill a sock and put it in the clothes closet to help with any odors. The rest I just shopvac up & throw in the garbage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of my buddy's at work has a chicken coop, he uses 2 feed bags of chips a week. I also found a local tree farm that lets me add my chips to the wood cutting service wood chip pile. They use it around the bases of trees. U also can use it to keep the weeds down between rows of corn, till it in in the fall. Black walnut I throw into peoples yards I dislike. Just kidding about that < very big grin>.

Dan J.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Last winter, I did a great deal of spoke shave work, plus the usual sawdust and chips from wood carving. Saved it all. Re-using the bags from my wood pellet stove, I gave a bag of chips to every artist I know.
Most of those people work in acrylics so the chips & shavings serve as an ideal dumping pot for waste paint. Once polymerized, acrylic paints are sort of solid plastic and inert. Molecule by molecule, somewhat toxic in aquatic ecosystems, many of which are downstream from sewer outlets. I would rather see a molecule of acrylic paint bound to a wood shaving than bound to the gills of a living fish.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use them to bed down my goat chicken and rabbit stalls coops and cages, all except cedar which just get chunked. If ya know someone who raises livestock or has horses they would likely be happy to have them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mulch yes , lots of farmers in my area take mine , i have plenty of friends that take it for dog bedding , i have my mill in the middle of my woods so i use the left overs to level my road to the mill , i lined my road with small tree trunks to hold the chips in the road way , so far the chips have made a good road , easier on my tires than driving over stumps and brush .

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crops

How large of a field are we talking about with your ginseng crop / cash crop or hobby. Never really thought about it but it has to come from someplace just not sure where what local.

Jerry

·
Registered
140 Posts
We are based in Upstate NY. I grow wild simulated ginseng so you need heavy forrested area. Our main plots are 40 acres and 10 acres but I have a side venture when we do a land leasing agreement and will plant any amount on anyones land. We have the seeds and will plant them and monitor them. Then when it comes time to pull and sell the land owner gets 5% of anything earned. It does not seem like much but if you sell directly to china you can pay off your property taxes and in NY thats no joke. Many of my clients just see the land as useless or as a hunting area so might as well make some $ off of it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I use mine around my blueberry bushes and any residual go's on the compost. The compost is made up of leaves and shavings right now I have about 60 cu yds on hand. Used to use them for my horses and chickens, but no longer have any.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Burn Mine when I can or it goes to the curb for pickup

·
Registered
569 Posts
Talked to a guy who had put walnut shavings into his compost and thinks that's the reason his garden did poorly after he mixed it in. Thought I also heard at one time walnut and horses are a bad combo. Cant say I read either of these things that came from a real study. Most of mine gets burned. In the summer they go into a small bucket I punched some air holes in and let the shavings smolder and make smoke to help keep the mosquitos and other blood suckers away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts