Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a silly question but what do you call a woodshop? I'm about 60% thorugh my workshop build 24x30 building and I realize I don't really know what the old english or old world name for a carpentry workspace is?

A blacksmith shop is called a smithy, but the carpenters shop was called?

Basically I'm trying to come up with a decent historic name so I can make a plaque for the exterior but I just don't know much about the historical tradition of woodworking/carpentry. Plz help.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Very good question, Avadon. I never even imagined there might be a name out there other than "workshop" or "woodshop". Throw a Ye Old in front of either to stretch, but not sure you should if your shop is brand new. ;) I teach furniture design, and tend to think of my garage shop as a Design/Build Studio. Can't see that on a sign though. I saw one article refer to a joiner's shop. Since much of wood working is connecting smaller pieces of wood to make something larger, "joining" seems appropriate. Not sure where "carpentry" came from and when they started using it. I don't think of myself as a carpenter though.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This might seem like a silly question but what do you call a woodshop? I'm about 60% thorugh my workshop build 24x30 building and I realize I don't really know what the old english or old world name for a carpentry workspace is?

A blacksmith shop is called a smithy, but the carpenters shop was called?

Basically I'm trying to come up with a decent historic name so I can make a plaque for the exterior but I just don't know much about the historical tradition of woodworking/carpentry. Plz help.
what are the carpenters shop was called? most shop's are call the carpenters shop or the guy that just try's to be a carpenter , oh that one? i just call mine the wood shop my 2 cents

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

A point in time, carpenters were those craftsmen that did all kinds of woodworking. They did the layout, rough framing, roofing, interior and exterior trim, and built the furniture in homes. With today's lingo, carpenters could be considered hammer and nail guys and 2x4's. The Brits call woodworkers "joiners". So, between "carpenters" and "joiners" there might be some possibilities.

Another term is "woodwright". You may have better luck with integrating it to sound good. Roy Underhill's shop is called The Woodwright's Shop.

If you aren't a business, your homeowner's insurance may think otherwise if you have a sign outside. You may get notices on your door about licensing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Quite simply, "The Shop". That came about from the grandboy who says, "Grampa, let's go to the shop".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I guess if the New Yankee Workshop chose "workshop" than that's a pretty good indicator. I'll have to mull these names over and see which work best.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Think what you want of my shop's name, but I first got started in woodworking only from a desire to make simple woodcraft stuff to sell. It was really more of a name for a business than a shop, and since it was named I've took the shop's use further and have even began making some furniture now. However, the original name I chose still stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Haha--- for me it's the "studio" when she's in a good mood and the "shop" when she's not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts