Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a few pieces of mass-manufactured furniture around the house and the glass is always secured with a clear silicone-looking strip in the back.

What is that stuff and can I buy it somewhere?

It's definitely not a caulk bead as it's clearly been pre-formed, although it could easily be the same material.

I want to build a cabinet with a glass door. Every piece of advice suggests routing a rabbet in the back and securing with thin strips of wood and nails. That may be a good way. I am just nervous both because I don't want the glass rattling and because I am nervous with brads near glass.

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha, I just threw some out this weekend that's been sitting around my house for a year. If it's the stuff your looking for it is a rubber insert with little nibs on one side that pressure fit into a dado in the back of the door but the name eludes me. We use it for our doors that we order from the manufacturer, but they supply more than enough with the purchase of a door and you can cut it with scissors. I'm sure you would be able to find some at your local hardware store.

If you do go the wood strip route... you could screw them in with countersunk screws so you can take them out if you need to replace the glass at any time, and a little bit of hot glue between the glass and strip to take up any space(as long as you cant see it from the front;)).

·
Lector
80 Posts
Hello All,
I have a few pieces of mass-manufactured furniture around the house and the glass is always secured with a clear silicone-looking strip in the back.

What is that stuff and can I buy it somewhere?

It's definitely not a caulk bead as it's clearly been pre-formed, although it could easily be the same material.

I want to build a cabinet with a glass door. Every piece of advice suggests routing a rabbet in the back and securing with thin strips of wood and nails. That may be a good way. I am just nervous both because I don't want the glass rattling and because I am nervous with brads near glass.

Thanks,
Steven

Is it stained glass? If so was it done with led or brass?( it makes a difference)
For indoors do the rabbet cut with push points & strips of matching wood.Just use a little glazing (very little) & it's no worries mate, it won't rattle.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
There are a number of different ways to secure glass in a door. You could cut a rabbet like others have said and install the glass with glazing points. Then you could glaze the door or run a bead of caulk. Often you can get color caulk close to the color of the wood. You could also secure the glass with glazing points and put wood strips in with hot melt glue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Securing glass in wood door

The "preformed caulking" material that you're looking for is probably "glazing tape". It comes in a roll with a peel-off backing. In use, it's not unlike the double-sided tape used for carpet backing in terms of application.

Another option is a rubber "glazing channel". If you've ever taken apart an aluminum-framed sliding patio door

1 - 9 of 9 Posts