Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just ordered a porter cable 4212 and am wondering if I need to buy a guide bushing kit or a base plate. It comes with 1 or 2 bushings but I'm not sure that's all I need. So what all is needed to start cutting dovetails? I have a pc 690. Thanks!

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hey guys I just ordered a porter cable 4212 and am wondering if I need to buy a guide bushing kit or a base plate. It comes with 1 or 2 bushings but I'm not sure that's all I need. So what all is needed to start cutting dovetails? I have a pc 690. Thanks!
Like everyone else said, about all you should need to add is wood. Since you have the 690 you should also be good to go with the baseplate but you can check it. The hole in the baseplate should be 1-3/16" in diameter with a 1-3/8" counterbore around it. You might want to pick up a centering pin though, I doubt those come in the kit.:smile:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Centering pin is critical. If your bit isn't centered in the bushing it'll cause endless aggravation. Mine didn't come one and I found 6 of 7 PC routers I have access to couldn't get the bit centered without physically modifying the base plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.