Woodworking Talk banner

What do I have here?

4K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  timetestedtools 
#1 ·
I was given these from a customer of mine. He told me to research them and come back with a price I would be willing to pay for them.

So I'm coming to you folks to see just what I have and what you feel they are worth.

I can load more pics if necessary.

Thanks for looking.
Gabe

Japanese chisel Burin Antique tool Tool Chisel

Plane Smoothing plane Jack plane Block plane Antique tool

Chocolate Food Cuisine

Block plane Plane

See less See more
#3 ·
Not very good pictures.

You have
a) Some socket chisels
b) a Stanley No. 8 with a blade sharpened almost to the slot
c) a Stanley No. 5 in perhaps better condition,
d) a Craftsman No. 5
e) a No. 3 missing a lever cap. Not sure if Stanley or a clone.
f) a Stanley block plane, not sure of the model could be 9 1/2.
g) a bevel rule
h) a spare blade, not sure of the size, but has been sharpened a lot
i) a spare blade and cap iron. Perhaps this blade is in better shape

Only you can decide what the value is for you.

The planes may be in decent condition. Pictures do not show details of the casting and whether any cracks.

You should be able to restore these if you want to make them into user tools. Just takes a decent amount of time.

#5 ·
The one missing the lever cap has a KK3 cast into the front of it. Other then that no markings on it.

The number 8 has some chips in the lever piece.

Other then these chips i can see no cracks or damage to the metal. the handles are cracked on the No8 and No5.

#4 ·
Looking on ebay i see the 220 block plane to be worth about $10.00. The Bailey No.8 looks to go anywhere from $30 to $150. The Stanley No5 about $30.00.

Do these seem like a fair price to you folks? I don't really want to pay more then there worth at the same time I want to be fair in my offer to the seller. He is a older gentlemen who I believe could use the money.

#7 · (Edited)
The KK-3 is a Keen Kutter made by the Ohio Tool Company. They are not worth as much as the ones marked with a single K. Those with one K are Stanley Bedrock.

Look up Keen Kutter Planes for the history of the KK-3 and K-3.

I would be wary of the prices on EBay. Some people way over price. A number KK-3 without the lever cap is probably worth no more than 5-10 bucks.

I personally would not pay more that $30 for a completed Stanley Bailey no. 3.

What's the condition of the tote on the no. 8? Look for cracks around the mouth going up where the sides arch. If there are any it is junk. If its not you may have a decent plane. Check for welds as well. Broken totes aren't a major issue but broken metal or iron are. Check for pitting as well. You will probably need to replace the blade on it.

#9 ·
The thought is to try my hand at restoring and using them. As with everything in my life right now it will be awhile before this happens. Buying and remodeling my wife's family farm takes priority right now.

Determining the value is more so I don't overpay or short change the seller.

I bought a Stanley 45 from the gentlemen a couple weeks ago that included most all of the parts for $25.00. We came up with that price after looking at ebay.

#12 ·
The 45 is missing a cutter/slitter piece made to cut thin slices. Also missing the short rods. The 45 also has a crack in the frame and a couple of spots that some brazed. Not really sure if it will even be usable. May end up just being a parts item. I will post some pics after I get out to the garage.

I took a closer look at the Stanley No5 in the pics above and found a crack in the main body. I guess that one will be good for parts only unless i find another body for it.

Please forgive me for not knowing the proper names of these parts.:smile:

#13 ·
I took a closer look at the Stanley No5 in the pics above and found a crack in the main body. I guess that one will be good for parts only unless i find another body for it.
I purchased a No. 5 on EBay. The seller stated it had a "crack" in the casting. I was looking to get this for parts.

When I got the plane, the "crack" was a full blown break from the mouth to the top of the casting. No surprise. Bad phrase. Crack infers not clean through the side.

I was able to use the other parts. I still have the "broken" casting.

FYI, the parts evolved over the decades. Older tote screws are shorter. Adjustment wheel started out about 1in then changed to be larger. Front knob started out low and fat, then became taller and thinner. Screw for the knob changed in height.

So if you keep the No. 5 for parts, just be aware, the parts will work for some types but not for all. Tis the nature of the beast.

#21 ·
Thanks guys,

gabeleon, parts can be found like you know on line, some can be gotten from a broken plane but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay top dollar for that one part, if you don't want to wait.

Take your 45 for example, just the parts alone is worth more than 25.00 you paid for it. Sooner or later you will find another body in good shape that needs parts that you have already have;)

Few months ago I had bought a complete 45 with a few extra parts, the 45 turned out to be a Sweetheart type 13 or later
Now the kicker, the so called "few extra parts" turned out to be another near complete type 12, 45 in very good condition.

So if your remodeling those tools just might come in handy, course you have to fix them up, but that is what I enjoy to do.

#22 ·
A update on this thread.
We settled on a price of $60 for the planes and chisels. We both felt happy with this price.
When I went back he threw in another plane he had found in his attic.

Wood Floor Table Plane

Antique tool Tool Jack plane Block plane Hand tool

He also had some bits and braces (I believe that's what there called) and a old level for an additional $20.

Antique tool Iron Metal Tool

Auto part Pipe Fuel line

I have also attached some pics of the Stanley 45 that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Machine tool Auto part Machine

Now I just need it to warm up so I can get outside and start refurbishing these items.
Thanks for looking.

#31 ·
The lateral reference is "lateral adjustment lever" which is the method to move the blade side to side so it is parallel with the sole.

Different companies had different designs for the lateral adjustment lever.

Brass City Records has an excellent summary of the various designs.

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane id.html

If you are not familiar with the names of the parts of the typical bench plane, this site is a good reference. It shows the Record company, but they followed the Stanley design. It is the only site I have found so far which documents the specification of the hardware used in the bench planes.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/parts-and-sizes.html

#32 ·
So I took more pics today. I also tried to clean up a little of the rust on the blade and on the lateral lever. The blade did not give up much info but maybe you guys can fill in the blanks. My camera did not take the best pics but it looks like the blade has says.
FU OL Co
NTED

Metal

The lateral lever can read. Looks like it says
PAT FEB 3-91

Metal Antique tool String instrument

Here are some other pics I took in hopes of determining the maker of this plane.

Antique tool Tool

Antique tool Tool Antique

Antique tool Tool Rebate plane

Bumper

Antique tool

Thanks for looking and thanks for the links. They were helpful in figuring out the names of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.