Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given these from a customer of mine. He told me to research them and come back with a price I would be willing to pay for them.

So I'm coming to you folks to see just what I have and what you feel they are worth.

I can load more pics if necessary.

Thanks for looking.
Gabe

Japanese chisel Burin Antique tool Tool Chisel

Plane Smoothing plane Jack plane Block plane Antique tool

Chocolate Food Cuisine

Block plane Plane

·
7,222 Posts
Not very good pictures.

You have
a) Some socket chisels
b) a Stanley No. 8 with a blade sharpened almost to the slot
c) a Stanley No. 5 in perhaps better condition,
d) a Craftsman No. 5
e) a No. 3 missing a lever cap. Not sure if Stanley or a clone.
f) a Stanley block plane, not sure of the model could be 9 1/2.
g) a bevel rule
h) a spare blade, not sure of the size, but has been sharpened a lot
i) a spare blade and cap iron. Perhaps this blade is in better shape

Only you can decide what the value is for you.

The planes may be in decent condition. Pictures do not show details of the casting and whether any cracks.

You should be able to restore these if you want to make them into user tools. Just takes a decent amount of time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking on ebay i see the 220 block plane to be worth about $10.00. The Bailey No.8 looks to go anywhere from $30 to $150. The Stanley No5 about $30.00.

Do these seem like a fair price to you folks? I don't really want to pay more then there worth at the same time I want to be fair in my offer to the seller. He is a older gentlemen who I believe could use the money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not very good pictures.

You have
a) Some socket chisels
b) a Stanley No. 8 with a blade sharpened almost to the slot
c) a Stanley No. 5 in perhaps better condition,
d) a Craftsman No. 5
e) a No. 3 missing a lever cap. Not sure if Stanley or a clone.
f) a Stanley block plane, not sure of the model could be 9 1/2.
g) a bevel rule
h) a spare blade, not sure of the size, but has been sharpened a lot
i) a spare blade and cap iron. Perhaps this blade is in better shape

Only you can decide what the value is for you.

The planes may be in decent condition. Pictures do not show details of the casting and whether any cracks.

You should be able to restore these if you want to make them into user tools. Just takes a decent amount of time.
The one missing the lever cap has a KK3 cast into the front of it. Other then that no markings on it.

The number 8 has some chips in the lever piece.

Other then these chips i can see no cracks or damage to the metal. the handles are cracked on the No8 and No5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The KK-3 is a Keen Kutter made by the Ohio Tool Company. They are not worth as much as the ones marked with a single K. Those with one K are Stanley Bedrock.

Look up Keen Kutter Planes for the history of the KK-3 and K-3.

I would be wary of the prices on EBay. Some people way over price. A number KK-3 without the lever cap is probably worth no more than 5-10 bucks.

I personally would not pay more that $30 for a completed Stanley Bailey no. 3.

What's the condition of the tote on the no. 8? Look for cracks around the mouth going up where the sides arch. If there are any it is junk. If its not you may have a decent plane. Check for welds as well. Broken totes aren't a major issue but broken metal or iron are. Check for pitting as well. You will probably need to replace the blade on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thought is to try my hand at restoring and using them. As with everything in my life right now it will be awhile before this happens. Buying and remodeling my wife's family farm takes priority right now.

Determining the value is more so I don't overpay or short change the seller.

I bought a Stanley 45 from the gentlemen a couple weeks ago that included most all of the parts for $25.00. We came up with that price after looking at ebay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 45 is missing a cutter/slitter piece made to cut thin slices. Also missing the short rods. The 45 also has a crack in the frame and a couple of spots that some brazed. Not really sure if it will even be usable. May end up just being a parts item. I will post some pics after I get out to the garage.

I took a closer look at the Stanley No5 in the pics above and found a crack in the main body. I guess that one will be good for parts only unless i find another body for it.

Please forgive me for not knowing the proper names of these parts.:smile:

·
7,222 Posts
I took a closer look at the Stanley No5 in the pics above and found a crack in the main body. I guess that one will be good for parts only unless i find another body for it.
I purchased a No. 5 on EBay. The seller stated it had a "crack" in the casting. I was looking to get this for parts.

When I got the plane, the "crack" was a full blown break from the mouth to the top of the casting. No surprise. Bad phrase. Crack infers not clean through the side.

I was able to use the other parts. I still have the "broken" casting.

FYI, the parts evolved over the decades. Older tote screws are shorter. Adjustment wheel started out about 1in then changed to be larger. Front knob started out low and fat, then became taller and thinner. Screw for the knob changed in height.

So if you keep the No. 5 for parts, just be aware, the parts will work for some types but not for all. Tis the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a No. 5 on EBay. The seller stated it had a "crack" in the casting. I was looking to get this for parts.

When I got the plane, the "crack" was a full blown break from the mouth to the top of the casting. No surprise. Bad phrase. Crack infers not clean through the side.

I was able to use the other parts. I still have the "broken" casting.

FYI, the parts evolved over the decades. Older tote screws are shorter. Adjustment wheel started out about 1in then changed to be larger. Front knob started out low and fat, then became taller and thinner. Screw for the knob changed in height.

So if you keep the No. 5 for parts, just be aware, the parts will work for some types but not for all. Tis the nature of the beast.
I see plane bottoms on ebay all the time. How practical do you think it is to buy one and hunt down the parts to build one up?

I keep seeing jointer bottoms on eBay and am thinking about a no. 8 but I don't know how hard it is to find exact matching frogs and tote screws and cap irons. Plus after rounding up those parts plus shipping I probably would not have saved much.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I see plane bottoms on ebay all the time. How practical do you think it is to buy one and hunt down the parts to build one up?

I keep seeing jointer bottoms on eBay and am thinking about a no. 8 but I don't know how hard it is to find exact matching frogs and tote screws and cap irons. Plus after rounding up those parts plus shipping I probably would not have saved much.
There's a reason that people part out planes for sale on flea bay. They make a lot more money selling individual parts - and you will spend a lot more money "constructing" a working plane from parts. Unless you have an almost complete plane that just needs a part or two, it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've already started to see this with some of the No 5's on ebay. Seems to be different types of the same number plane. The prices don't seem to bad though. I guess when the time comes I will do my research and roll the dice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a reason that people part out planes for sale on flea bay. They make a lot more money selling individual parts - and you will spend a lot more money "constructing" a working plane from parts. Unless you have an almost complete plane that just needs a part or two, it just isn't worth it.
It was and still is like this in the R/C car world. People would buy a brand new 1/8th scale Truggy or Buggy and part it out for way more then they paid. Generally though the purchaser could get a better deal buying parts this way rather then at a hobby store.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I can see from the pics you have a lot of work to do getting those planes working. Replacing worn or broken parts just aren't worth it imo. The chisels could be cleaned and sharpened and most likely be users, also with the adjustable angle. I wouldn't offer more than $45 for the lot. More if you want to give the seller a "gift".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts