Woodworking Talk banner

2941 - 2960 of 3006 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been busy, refinished a child's table and 3 chairs, 4 folding outdoor rocking lounge chairs, (very clever design, I reversed engineered it and plan to make some). 2 picture frame for puzzles for my daughter, first I had to do the puzzles, I know a picture frame are easy, but I don't like mitered frames as I have repaired so many for people, I only do half laps finished by hand with a Stanley hand router, always square and will last for ever. A metal stool for a friend that was outside for years, cleaned it up, painted the metal and made a new wooden seat. Now my daughter asked me to make another corn hole board set, after making around 30 of them I would have said no, but it is for a family friend. These are beautiful boards, not just 2X lumber and plywood, they are strong yet light weight, she was selling them for around $180.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fall's here so back to shop time. That said I picked up a load of red cedar from a home clean out most are 3 x 3-4ft long.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I moved a small wooden shed with Steel Corrugated Roof Panels onto blocks so I could have some concrete repair last week. Then we had a dust storm with 27 MPH wind gusts over the weekend that blew it over on its backside. It hit the ground so hard that some of the roof panels came off after some wood purlins split. The whole lower edge of the steel panels bent over.

My wife and I spent hours jacking the backside up with a 60" Farm Bumper Jack until we got it high enough to push it over into the upright position. Yesterday it rained so I had to move everything around to keep from getting wet. We had to use tarps to cover everything up from the rain which was a pain in the butt with only the 2 of us fighting that wind. Not only did I have to fix the roof panels, but there was a large hole in one sheet of plywood siding where a large steel lift got pulled over and busted through the siding.

I’m now recuperating from shoulder and back pain. My wife’s not doing so well either. I just never would have believed that shed would blow over like that

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Today I built a vertical storage rack fr plywood. Tomorrow I will build a matching vertical storage rack for hardwoods.
Didnt build it all at one time, fully connected because I was not sure if I would have been able to lift it into position by myself

Reactions: Sleeper

·
That Guy
350 Posts
I started milling some lumber this weekend to build a bed in our travel trailer. It came with a folding couch which I've pulled and given away on Craigslist. The space where it was is roughly the size of a queen bed so I'm going to build a wooden frame on the floor that goes all the way around the outside and also has a support down the center. The bed platform will be maple strips 1 1/2" x 3/4" screwed together into "L"s and then skinned over with 1/4" ply on both sides. It's a design I used to make a Murphy bed a couple of years ago and is very light but sturdy. It will be hinged down the center-line so that we can lift half the bed up to access storage underneath. The fresh water tank will reside below the other half. Memory foam cushions will top it off.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Completed the 2nd(last) section of my vertical storage
The section on the left for sheet goods is 52" wide and the section on the right for hardwood is 29" wide.
Used simple frame construction on both sections. Made 2 separate sections because I would not have been able to handle it by myself. They were assembled on their backs stretched across my workbench and rolling cart/ Table Saw outfeed table. Then slid them from the workbench to the rolling cart, then from the rolling cart I slowly slid it off and stood it up vertical and jockeyed them in position. The sheet goods section was laid with 1/2" MDF and the hardwoods section was laid with 3/4" MDF.
Not an easy task for a 73 year old.
PB120001.JPG
PB120006.JPG
PB120008.JPG
PB120008.JPG

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Completed the 2nd(last) section of my vertical storage
The section on the left for sheet goods is 52" wide and the section on the right for hardwood is 29" wide.
Used simple frame construction on both sections. Made 2 separate sections because I would not have been able to handle it by myself. They were assembled on their backs stretched across my workbench and rolling cart/ Table Saw outfeed table. Then slid them from the workbench to the rolling cart, then from the rolling cart I slowly slid it off and stood it up vertical and jockeyed them in position. The sheet goods section was laid with 1/2" MDF and the hardwoods section was laid with 3/4" MDF.
Not an easy task for a 73 year old.
I like it!
I have two 45ft x 8ft wide shipping containers with open space between. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage, but I will moving nonimportant stuff to the center area as soon as I can get a roof, I know what you mean about things being harder, I'm 71,

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Wish you luck in your project and keep us informed.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
That Guy
350 Posts
Looks like the shop is coming together.

A little off topic but I like how you rounded the corners on the Radial Arm Saw table. I may do the same.

·
That Guy
350 Posts
I got a surprise on the weekend. I was working on my trailer to install a new bed and I noticed the hot water tank cover was wet, as I investigated the horror unfolded and the whole front corner of the trailer was rotten. The hot water tank had been slow leaking for years through a pinhole and the wood was all mulch. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday pulling up the floor and removing the lower aluminum siding so I could reframe sill plates, floor joists, corner post, wall studs and four square feet of floor. Then I had to reinsulate it all and put all the siding back on. And it was raining!

All good now though, patched, sturdy and water tight, a new HW tank is on the way and I can get going on the bed frame next weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Today I made a circle cutting jig for my router so that I can cut out a circle on the top of the table that will be my new router table

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow! Been awhile since I've posted anything. What a year. I did finish my wood strip canoe about first of October. So wife and I took it camping.
Building this canoe did teach me alot about wood grain orientation, glues and epoxies, how to use paint scrapers like hand planes and how to not lose your mind while spending hours with an orbital sander.

Roy.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
She is a beauty I'm sure it was worth all of the effort.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Went to the shop today to work on router table. Had to make dados and remove the miter gauge to do it.
The saw has a precisely fitted holder for the miter gauge as part of the cabinet. Very well engineered by the engineer but for the end user. It requires that you bend down and look under the top and precisely line up the miter gauge with the slot. I got tired of that set-up.
So I made a small holder for the miter gauge and wall mounted it next to the saw in a very convenient spot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Nuts and Bolts Organizer
As usual, I never remember to take pictures. This time I got a few anyway - even though it’s mostly after the fact.

I bought one of those stackable storage thingies from Horror Freight. I have used them before and they are mainly junk except when a few additions are made.

A few months back I built a 10’ long wooden shelf unit. It was necessary. Now that I am somewhat more organized, I don’t need it to be that big anymore so I cut the lower portion in half. The 2 upper shelves were left since I will be able to stand under it. I needed more floor space.

I cut the open end at a 45* angle so the organizer would have easier access. First I calculated the height to gain as much use as possible. Some key items are:

• the slightest bump or nudge will knock the little boxes off the rack. To eliminate this, allow 1” extra spacing between the shelves vertically. If you do this, you can make a few sticks from 3/4” thick by 1/1/2” wide. Place these sticks on top of the row of boxes. This will eat ¾” of the 1” space. This is enough to prevent an upward bump from knocking the boxes out of the track.
  • Enclose the top and sides with ¼” ply. This will eliminate most accidental bumps.
I also glued and screwed ¾” X 1 ½” strips on the back of the plywood. These strips were carefully measured so that they sit on top of the 3 shelves. These strips will hold the whole unit in place by being screwed down into the individual shelves. originally I planned on 3 screws into each ledger strip inro the shelves. Because of the snug fit of all 3 ledger strips, I noticed that 1 screw in the top strip was sufficiently solid. So, I only used 1 screw in each ledger strip.

Pics 1 and 2 show the shelf unit after it was cut in half. This gave me an additional 5 feet of floor space.

Pic 3 Shows the rear of my new panel with the 3 ledger strips horizontally. The vertical ledger strips are to attach the sides by screwing.

Pic 4 and 5 show the plastic rails that support the boxes.

Pic 6 is the ¾ x 1 ½ strips that just set on top of the boxes and prevent the boxes from lifting out of the slot. If you want to remove the boxes, just pull out that strip and the boxes will easily slide out.

Pic 7 shows the whole thing in place with 173873_182.png Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG a top on it

·
That Guy
350 Posts
I was inspired by some posts I read of guys who had Craftsman jointers and used them for years and years so I bought one from Craigslist. I pick it up Saturday, it's in perfect working condition, no rust, stored in the guys basement. 6 1/2" wide with a 1HP motor and straight blades. He says he is the only owner and hasn't used it much so here's hoping I got a deal!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Wish u the best of luck with it

2941 - 2960 of 3006 Posts