Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2981 - 3000 of 3013 Posts

·
Mark Jones Ozark
193 Posts
I have made several glass topped tables and used the harden safety glass. It was a bit more but all of them have stayed strong and never broken. It's been years since I bought any glass I have had 200 regular glass panes given to me for my lantern projects (not for profit lantern kits to give to a church scouting group).

My Office desk top is all harden glass on 5 sections.

My lantern projects use regular glass and it doesn't take much to break them and that is a mess yet it's the standard for Frontiersman style lanterns.

For furniture I would go with safety glass.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put new wheels on an old truck.
One of the first model trucks I made was a "C-cab" stake truck. My Grandson got edition one and the church auction got edition two. When I built the first ones I was using wheels from Amazon. This past week or so I have been trying my hand at making my own wheels and what better place to start than with the old C-cab.

With plastic wheels:

IMGP2489.JPG

With "new wheels"

IMGP2735.JPG
IMGP2736.JPG

I spent most of the week practicing making wheels and have made some spoked ones. Now I need to figure out what I will build for them. My thoughts are either a model "A" Huckster utility truck or a '28 Pontiac rumble seat coupe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No plans really just a template for the cab sides and roof and one for the engine and fenders. I copied the truck from a picture I found on the internet. That is the third one of those I've built and every one is a little different from the one before.

·
Mark Jones Ozark
193 Posts
I have seen these plans around and was curious if you had used one or just did what you did. I like figuring these things out as well. A plan is sometimes nice. I used to build balsa wood airplanes that used a scale model plan. Most of the time I do like you do and just look at it and start designing.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,938 Posts
Looking at Eastern Red Cedar. Trying to figure out if it's a deal or not Never bought it air dried before.. 5"=$8, 4"=$6,3"=$5
137705108_3694381600622448_569011449515091028_o.jpg
137495877_3694381507289124_7343191840638170890_o.jpg
138018685_3694381550622453_6806734755472689712_o.jpg

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
A friend of mine just moved into a new housing track still being built and the builder has dumpsters across the street from his house. He was watching them cutting up wood to go into the dumpster so he asked if he could have some. They said he could have anything in the dumpster, but not to take anything from inside the houses.
He gave me a bunch of short 2x4s and I told him I could use the longer pieces before they cut them up so he started picking up the long pieces before being cut. The workers didn’t mind not cutting them and he started collecting them in his side yard. I took my trailer over today and picked up 6 2x6x16ft long and about 10 2x4s ranging from 8 to 16ft long. I also picked up 3 4x8 foil backed roofing panels and 3 bundles of 1x2 furring strips,
I have enough wood to build me a couple of sheds and frame my steel container for a drop ceiling,

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Mark Jones Ozark
193 Posts
Looking at Eastern Red Cedar. Trying to figure out if it's a deal or not Never bought it air dried before.. 5"=$8, 4"=$6,3"=$5
View attachment 424705 View attachment 424706 View attachment 424707
It works great. Cedar has a lot of personality to it so you will most likely use more material in making things. Some boards will be useless and others will pose a challenge but they are very pretty. Not a very strong wood but I think it's one of the most interesting there is. Made a lot of lanterns, unaboxes, and wooden cups, Ranger Derby cars and belt buckles to name a few. Cedar air dries faster than most woods. When you first cut it it will fill spongy and make you wonder if it will ever be any good. Then in about 6 months in good air drying conditions it will be good to go. It needs to be kept stacked nice and flat or it will warp up fast. I have resawn several pick up loads of Cedar into boards and let them air dry. FUN and folks love the products.

·
That Guy
380 Posts
Built some framing for a headboard/cabinet in the RV. It's finicky work because it has to go over the plumbing lines and the hot water tank and the RV hasn't been "square" since 1992.

I pulled the metal framed folding couch/bed out in the fall then rearranged the fresh water tank and plumbing and built a full sized Queen bed frame (60" x 80") hinged in the center, with storage bins below. I've got 8 7/8" left from the head of the bed to the wall so I'll build a headboard with some storage in it.

The bed and all the cabinetry have been made out of maple and I used the project as the excuse to buy my jointer and planer. I justify the cost of the tools based on the savings from having to buy dressed S4S maple at Home Depot (3/4" x 6" x 8' = $85 :eek:)

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Yesterday, I unpackaged some stuff I bought at Harbor Freight. Spent $439. The main items I bought was their 6 x 48 belt Sander with the 9" Disc. With the discount, it went down to $200 plus $50 for a 2 year extended Warranty. So, I am guaranteed 2 good years with it for around $250. Now all I a good drum sander..
Also bought 2 spray guns on sale. One is a conventional gun and the other is with the cup on top and is HVLP. They were cheap enough and should hold me for now.
Also bought some bar clamps and other misc. stuff.
Major problems cropped up with my RV and that has been consuming most of my time.

·
Mark Jones Ozark
193 Posts
Yesterday, I unpackaged some stuff I bought at Harbor Freight. Spent $439. The main items I bought was their 6 x 48 belt Sander with the 9" Disc. With the discount, it went down to $200 plus $50 for a 2 year extended Warranty. So, I am guaranteed 2 good years with it for around $250. Now all I a good drum sander..
Also bought 2 spray guns on sale. One is a conventional gun and the other is with the cup on top and is HVLP. They were cheap enough and should hold me for now.
Also bought some bar clamps and other misc. stuff.
Major problems cropped up with my RV and that has been consuming most of my time.
I went in to buy one of those sanders. They were out 3 weeks in a row. Even Grizzly has been out of them for almost 3 months. Supposed to be in this month.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,938 Posts
Put plexyglass in the cabinet for now. Not happy with it. Guess I'll try and hot more glass companies till I find sinething I like. Above the tv I'd like to put a Bose speakers.
20210302_092656.jpg
20210302_095722.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
@Mark Jones Ozark
I went in to buy one of those sanders. They were out 3 weeks in a row. Even Grizzly has been out of them for almost 3 months. Supposed to be in this month.
Finished assembly this morning and mounted it on a dolly. The extra height of the dolly made it more comfortable to use.
Assembly went so-so. Directions are not that easy to understand but you can get through it. Seems to be working just fine when I tested it. Should be a lot better when I get real sanding belts. Not sure what grit will live on there. I want it mainly for roughing, then go over it with a ROS for finishing.
Too bad it wont rotate 90* the short way so it could be used like an edge sander. Anyway, it will be fine for what I will be using it for. Also note that it doesn't take up much floor space.
On the bottom of the sheet metal sides, on the cross members, I mounted a plywood shelf. It not only will serve as a shelf but it will also stiffen up the structure.
As for the dolly mounting, I mounted it on one of HF dollies that were on sale for $7.99. The dolly 18 12 X 18. I mounted a sheet of plywood on it that was around 14 X 21. Then put small chocks on it so the sander can't slide off the dolly.

2981 - 3000 of 3013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.