Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2901 - 2920 of 3013 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
So, I did get that railing almost done yesterday, I just need to put the filler strips in between the balusters and the trim on at the bottom of the newel post.
Today's project was a spur of the moment decision to make a bat house. I had some shiplap hanging around and decided to use that. What looks like a gap between the bottom and middle boards is exactly that... it's a 1/2" wide vent slot. Seems like an odd place for a vent to me, but that's what the guys that know bat houses said to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very nice. A bit of a sidetrack, but could you post an exterior shot of the house?

Years ago when I was contracting, i converted an old tractor barn into a two bedroom home, and a turkey barn into office spaces and a workshop - along with remodeling the original farmhouse, of course. It was a bucolic holdout in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, owned by a well-known landscape architect. The converted tractor barn was for his daughter and her husband, and the offices were for his business.
As promised...the exterior of our house. Like the inside, the outside is also a work in progress... the wife decided we should paint it late last fall...winter hit shortly after she started pressure washing. Now we're waiting untildry weather hits.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
So, I did get that railing almost done yesterday, I just need to put the filler strips in between the balusters and the trim on at the bottom of the newel post.
Today's project was a spur of the moment decision to make a bat house. I had some shiplap hanging around and decided to use that. What looks like a gap between the bottom and middle boards is exactly that... it's a 1/2" wide vent slot. Seems like an odd place for a vent to me, but that's what the guys that know bat houses said to do.
What is bat house?
They live in caves and trees..
They don't need a house..

You have to be careful..
You know.. Covid19 come to human than bats..
Please don't forget Bats are a super host for viruses and bacteria..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts
As promised...the exterior of our house. Like the inside, the outside is also a work in progress... the wife decided we should paint it late last fall...winter hit shortly after she started pressure washing. Now we're waiting untildry weather hits.
That is nice, if it were our's, my wife would have a porch in the plans and probably all the way around the house. :smile2:

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is nice, if it were our's, my wife would have a porch in the plans and probably all the way around the house. :smile2:
And why would you even think mine doesn't? LOL That's item 2,137 in the Honey_do book. The actual plan is across the front and down the side you don't see in the picture. We're talking a close to the ground farmer's porch so there's no need for a railing.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I’m having a bad day. I bought lumber for a shed a couple of weeks ago, but was having terrible pain in my shoulder I waited. So today I started unloading all the materials off my trailer to start framing the walls. Then I saw my pressure treated bottom plates. I dug deep into the stack at Home Depot for the straightest 2x4’s I could find and now this. :surprise2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
What is bat house?
They live in caves and trees..
They don't need a house..

You have to be careful..
You know.. Covid19 come to human than bats..
Please don't forget Bats are a super host for viruses and bacteria..

I'd much rather have bats than Mosquitoes. I plan on building a few bat houses myself.

A single little brown bat (myotis) can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes in a single hour,

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd much rather have bats than Mosquitoes. I plan on building a few bat houses myself.

A single little brown bat (myotis) can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes in a single hour,
Maybe there are plants you can cultivate which are natural bug repellents which will grow in your area. Ive been looking at plants for repelling mosquitoes lately but havnt started planting any yet...

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Maybe there are plants you can cultivate which are natural bug repellents which will grow in your area. Ive been looking at plants for repelling mosquitoes lately but havnt started planting any yet...

Thanks, but we have tried everything. Today I wore a mosquito net over my head that worked, but its a little cumbersome. I also threw a 6-Pack of Mosquito Dunks in a pond close to the house, but I'm not sure if they even work. I have black widow spiders in my garage that help keep them in check out there, but the birds eat most of the spiders outside.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I ran a saw cut right through one of my Grr-rippers while ripping pieces for some frames. Sadly, not the first time. Better than through my hand though!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
More Concrete troubles

I needed to cut contraction joints in a slab of concrete and was going rent a concrete saw, but they wanted $210 a day. So I bought a little 4" tile saw. It started out OK but then the motor hit a 2x4 stud that caused a little wiggle. I moved the stud a little farther away for clearance and cut about 12" when smoke started poring out the side of the motor. My line is all screwed up, but it will be unseen inside the shed.

Its 103 deg F outside I just got so frustrated that I quit for the day and will try again tomorrow is the saw still works.

Attachments

·
That Guy
380 Posts
Installed all of the door and window trim in the den as well as baseboard all the way around. It looks good and I'm checking "Den" off my honey do list.

Next up is to finish installing central air conditioning.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,321 Posts
G'mornin. I haven't posted for awhile now, but have stayed mostly busy and about to start back at making cedar planter boxes to sell to neighbors even though well over half of them think cedar grows on trees or something. Oh wait, it does. Maybe I should just tell them it ain't cheap and lasts a lot longer than yellow pine which I have done, but they evidently think that I have some mysterious free source of expensive cedar I'm willing to pass along to the public.
Oh well, those willing to pay will and those that don't will have pine boxes sort of like coffins..

Thinking about free cedar I did run across a large pile of cast off cedar slabs a few months ago. About 70% has serious insect damage, but the 30% is nice, solid wood about 2" thick so it's a bit of cutting away the rot to find the good stuff in it.
I've been making quite a bit of stuff with treated pine, but I really don't like having the stuff in the shop with all the toxic goop floating around the place. It does kind of keep the insect population down in the shop though. Here in South Carolina we get a lot of those big lumbering roaches that everyone loves to run into while standing butt naked in the shower.. Just thinking about that almost makes me want to remain dirty, but I do take regular showers anyway...just not at 3 in the morning when the whole house is dark and most everyone is asleep..

Reactions: Kerrys

·
kvncrll
3 Posts
kvncrll

Last week after finding this how-to article I banged out a full kitchen cabinet repaint - mainly because after 7 weeks at home going bonkers. Turned out fantastic and was actually quite simple - 3 days and done.

Also, have a beautiful 8-panel front entry door here in Arizona - covered entry - It's made of Douglas fir, stained and varnished looks amazing, but......one of the raised panels started to crack from shrinkage/dry weather. I could actually see "daylight" - this is the first time it's happened.

I didn't want to put something heavy into the hairline cracks that would prevent swelling later - so I chose to use a simple "fill stick" (like a crayon for wood) with color to match the stain.

It worked like a charm and looks great - and when the door panel expands in the winter, the product appears flexible enough to handle swelling of the panel. Time will tell - 2 weeks + still looks perfect and super cheap fix $1.89

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Late yesterday afternoon, I finished turning a pen. It had been partially turned, but sat on the lathe for too long while I did some flatwork projects. I got tired of looking at it. The pen kit is a slimline type called "Funline 24K Gold." The pen blank wood is a mystery, but I bet it came from the "crotch walnut" that I saw at the local woodworking store a few months ago. Glue: Polyurethane. Finish: GluBoost CA. The pen will be returned to our local woodworking club to be donated to someone in our active military or a veteran. (The club supplies the pen kits and wood pen blanks.)

When I was done, I had a few minutes remaining before dinner, so I practiced with the skew chisel on a piece of Brazilian pepper wood. The branch was a windfall from a tree in our backyard. I cut off the end of the branch, mostly to see if the turned piece would be pretty or bland for potential future pens. The wood was bland, but the skew practice was fun. Boys will be boys, at any age. :)

Photos:
* Brazilian pepper tree
* Brazilian pepper windfall branch
* Funline pen (probably "crotch walnut") and Brazilian pepper tree scrap

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
I did add mini drawer in cordless drill organizer and I did add mini shelf in angle grinder holder today..

·
Registered
301 Posts

We have a lot of bats in MT, I'm not sure where they go during the day but at night they fly around our porch, never really bother us at all. I love them so I bought a bat house off Amazon that houses up to 300 bats. They're not that big at all and they seem fairly straightforward construction wise. The instructions say to face the house where it will get the majority of sun from early am to mid afternoon.

2901 - 2920 of 3013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.