Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2881 - 2900 of 3013 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been working on remodeling my front porch. Boxed it in, put up some decorative trim and accents. Oh, and the brad nailer deflected and curved back out of the wood, stabbing my thumb. So there's that too. Ever shot a nail into your finger? It hurts!
No, but I shot a 1 1/2" staple into the tip of my finger once. I was stapling plywood down that had an overhang while using my hand for a depth gauge, and got distracted. The staple hit the bone, curled out through my fingernail and back into the plywood, and I made funny noises while getting my finger loose. Or at least my coworkers thought they were funny... being stupid didn't get you a lot of sympathy from that bunch.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Cutting Concrete.

I’m struggling with cutting expansion joints in a concrete slab. My knees are so deformed from arthritis that I can’t bend them more than 30 deg and can’t kneel to make the cuts.

I’ll probably spend the rest of the day trying to adapt a long handle to my saw so I can cut standing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is my old circular saw.. My new circular saw did come to me than cargo today .. I want to open the packet but I have to wait 15 days for to kill virus.. It is a gift for me.. From my brother.. I have two circular saw now..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
faith michel - I feel that a person needs equal numbers of power tools
to maintain the proper balance of nature. . . ie: 6 routers = 6 circular saws, etc.
(so I think you need more tools).
also - being too organized with everything in its designed place is just not right.
(just kidding).

I hope you and your family are doing well and staying safe over there across the Pond.

·
where's my table saw?
28,570 Posts
I would hate to see that saw "die" .....

I’m struggling with cutting expansion joints in a concrete slab. My knees are so deformed from arthritis that I can’t bend them more than 30 deg and can’t kneel to make the cuts.

I’ll probably spend the rest of the day trying to adapt a long handle to my saw so I can cut standing up.

I once had to saw some marble slabs with my only Skill saw and an abrasive wheel. The fine dust killed the saw and I had to take to Skill headquaters in Chicago where I lived at the time, and have it rebuilt.
I now use a wet tile saw from Home Depot with a diamond blade and a garden hose fitting turn on low pressure. It was $50.00 on sale back then. Not the same today:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4-in-Tile-Saw-TC401/205654302

Harbor Freight has a dry cut one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-handheld-dry-cut-tile-saw-62296.html

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I once had to saw some marble slabs with my only Skill saw and an abrasive wheel. The fine dust killed the saw and I had to take to Skill headquaters in Chicago where I lived at the time, and have it rebuilt.
I now use a wet tile saw from Home Depot with a diamond blade and a garden hose fitting turn on low pressure. It was $50.00 on sale back then. Not the same today:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4-in-Tile-Saw-TC401/205654302

Harbor Freight has a dry cut one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-handheld-dry-cut-tile-saw-62296.html
Thanks, after wasting a couple of Hours I decided to rent a Walk Behind Concrete saw for a day. Its going to cost me a $100 but I have a couple other cuts that need to be done as well. I wasn't going to do them for awhile so it works if I get it done now.

·
Ancient Termite
1,012 Posts
Mayhem and murder are near by but I have been keeping them at bay with the lock down.

I can say that I did not kill anyone today. :)

I am starting to understand why there is so much violence in our prisons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My day today was spent painting our upstairs hall. I had to do it because some months ago I removed a half wall at the top of the stairs and will be replacing it with a railing, balusters and a newel post. That should be tomorrow's project now that the remaining wall is repaired and painted.
I also replaced a 4-way switch that has been on the honey-do list for about 4 years. I didn't give it a lot of priority because it worked fine, it was just the wrong color according to the boss.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I spent the morning adding side braces and a sling chute to the trebuchet I'm building... and I have no idea why the pic keeps posting sideways; I tried it three times.
Just out of curiosity what are you using that for? I could probably use one of those to swap grocery’s with my neighbor during this lock down. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just out of curiosity what are you using that for? I could probably use one of those to swap grocery’s with my neighbor during this lock down. :wink:
Do you know anyone who deserves a 2 lb sack of flour through his picture window? I'm having cards printed that say, "have trebuchet, will travel.'

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Do you know anyone who deserves a 2 lb sack of flour through his picture window? I'm having cards printed that say, "have trebuchet, will travel.'
:vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
No woodworking today, but my attic is a whole lot brighter, and the job is only half done.
Nice Attic! I always wanted an attic like that ever since I was a kid playing in my grandmothers house.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is that really an attic? Where's the clutter and dust?
You've never met my wife I see....
The attic is particularly cool because the place was a barn that was converted to a house in the mid 70's so it's all post and beam. In fact, though I don't notice it now, when we first moved here 4 years ago, the smell of hay was still in the attic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You've never met my wife I see....
The attic is particularly cool because the place was a barn that was converted to a house in the mid 70's so it's all post and beam. In fact, though I don't notice it now, when we first moved here 4 years ago, the smell of hay was still in the attic.
Very nice. A bit of a sidetrack, but could you post an exterior shot of the house?

Years ago when I was contracting, i converted an old tractor barn into a two bedroom home, and a turkey barn into office spaces and a workshop - along with remodeling the original farmhouse, of course. It was a bucolic holdout in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, owned by a well-known landscape architect. The converted tractor barn was for his daughter and her husband, and the offices were for his business.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I planed some old poplar barn wood, it's a FULL 2x6 and showing some nice colors. Then it came time to start mowing 3 acres for the first time this year and my trusty 38" Murray blew the motor...I'm really surprised it didn't happen sooner, it's only 15yrs old and was used when I bought it. O well, I have a replacement motor, I just hope I don't need something that would require travel.

2881 - 2900 of 3013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.