Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 10.1. I asked for a Tab 2 or a Nova 1624-44. Ill save my pennies and get the lathe later!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Times got a little tight this year. I got my wife a minature schnauzer which she loves. She lost her job back before thanksgiving so I told her not to worry about getting me anything. She did however prepare a wonderful dinner which we already enjoyed. Im just thankful to have her :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Money is tight and I haven't had time to make gifts this year.

I told the family that I wouldn't be giving or receiving.

We're all getting together for dinner this afternoon then we're just going to hang out as a family and enjoy the kids.

Best present of all really.

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
My wife and I don't exchange gifts. Never did. We put everything into making sure our two kids have a great Christmas. I enjoy that much more than any gift I would recieve. Besides if I want or need something I just go buy it. Same goes for my wife.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
570 Posts
8 piece set of Porter Cable forstner drill bits, a Freud Diablo 1024 rip blade for my table saw, and a $50 gift card to Rockler. Also got an old, but still new in box, Craftsman router, and a stack of woodworking hardback books, I mean like 20 of them. That was it for woodworking.

My father in law had gotten into woodworking a long time ago and never went real far with it and he had the books and router laying around at his house so he gave them to me along with his Craftsman scroll saw too. It wasn't for Christmas since I also got another gift besides that, but I got them while I was there installing his toy train display case I made for him for Christmas so I'm sort of calling it a merry Christmas to me. The router warranty card is dated 1993. He bought it 20 years ago and never opened it. It will see a little use in my shop for edge profiles. The books don't have a crease in them, maybe 2 of them in all were ever looked at, and not much. I don't know exactly how many I got but the stack is near 2 feet deep and each book is 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick only. There's one for router tricks, one for table saw tricks, one for the band saw, and a lot of others. Then there are idea and gift books to build from wood, and furniture, and more. The scroll saw is used, but just slightly. I blew off the dust and it looks like someone might have made a few cuts with it EVER.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got a few woodworking doodads but the best thing was my father in law bought some 4 ft lights and installed in the garage while I was at work. I can finally stop hitting the garage door button for that extra bit of light.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I got three things. One from the wife and one from each of two of my kids.

These are all the mini versions of carbide tipped lathe chisels that you just change the tip when they get dull. If these last as long as saw blades my kids will inherit them before the tips need replacing.

Plus a great meal with the family and some shop time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Between my wife, my parents, my in-laws, and the gift exchange with my siblings:

A set of lathe chisels (I got a used tube lathe for free not long ago and needed tools to finally use it)
A carbide insert rougher, made by a guy in MI, that takes the EWT cutters
Chuck for my lathe
Cordless drill (now I have two!)
2 pipe clamps
Dovetail marker
Self-centering drill bits
Set of jigs for laying out drawer/door pulls

Yup, my family knows me too well! :laughing: (Of course, it also helps that some of the gifts were ones I told them I wanted, while others were ones I was told to purchase or given money to purchase.) Still have some gift money I got from my grandparents that I'll probably save and put toward my next big tool purchase.

But, the best part was getting to take my wife and son to church in the morning, and then spending the rest of the day with them. (We live a little too far from family to be able to easily travel to see them for any of the holidays and the holidays are always a time that I can't get away from work for. So it was just the three of us.)

Got some good roughhousing in with my 13 month old son. My wife and I made homemade pasta (with the pasta maker she wanted that was part of her gift from me) and paired that pasta with homemade Italian sausage her dad makes, and a homemade sauce we made. Also got to get on Skype and visit with both of our families for a little while last night. Overall, a great day!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I got the "bill" I must say I've spent more and got less so all in all it was fun.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
I got 2 new pair of overalls, a pair of Reebok running shoes, a new shirt, and plenty of wonderful food and desserts. OH, and her side of the family "Christmas Get Together" is this Saturday. :thumbsup:

But I just have to tell you about the anniversary gift we got from one another. No I'll just show you.:smile:
g0513anv.jpg

Our anniversary is the 16th of December, so I bought her half of the band saw and she bought me the other half. It is the Grizzly 17 inch 30th anniversary edition band saw. I like to tell everyone that if I cover up the 0 and th of the wording it becomes 3 -- Anniversary Edition and we got it on our 3rd anniversary. :laughing::laughing:

Really going to start enjoying it next week when we go back to work. We have got about 400 board feet of lumber to resaw next week. Got a Grizzly resaw fence and a 3tpi Timber Wolf resaw blade to go with it. Can't wait until next week. Tomorrow I hope to connect it up to my DC.
Yes I'm smiling from ear to ear.:yes::yes::laughing::laughing:

Reactions: Camden
1 - 20 of 54 Posts