Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to buy my first set of dado blades for my Ridgid 4510. I'm just a weekend woodworker and have no idea if I should get a 6-in or 8-in set. I really don't see myself ever making dados deeper that an inch, so wouldn't the 6-inch set be a better idea? I thought I'd come here first before dropping any coin as I really don't know anything about dado sets and dimensions.

Thanks in advance

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
go with the 6"

from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-CARBIDE-T...927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41718f8f17

I'm not familar with this brand, but it has C4 carbide and the price is very reasonable.

If you like the bidding war process, this is a great set if you win a low bid:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Systi-matic...778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25825b6572

A tip on winning, wait until there is 2 minutes left. Raise your bid to $50.00 above the last price. The system will automatically bump your bid up $5 or so, not the entire $50.00 amount, and by the time your competitors bump their bids you will have won, and they won't have any time left. DAMHIKT :yes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-CARBIDE-TIPPED-30-TOOTH-STACKED-DADO-GROOVE-CUTTER-SAW-STACK-BLADE-TOOL-SET-/281078107927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41718f8f17

I'm not familar with this brand, but it has C4 carbide and the price is very reasonable.

If you like the bidding war process, this is a great set if you win a low bid:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Systi-matic-Dado-Blade-Set-Brand-New-Never-Used-/161100817778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25825b6572

A tip on winning, wait until there is 2 minutes left. Raise your bid to $50.00 above the last price. The system will automatically bump your bid up $5 or so, not the entire $50.00 amount, and by the time your competitors bump their bids you will have won, and they won't have any time left. DAMHIKT :yes:
Really...bid $50 over. Sounds like a scam to me. No thanks

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Keep in mind the tooth on an 8 inch dado will be traveling faster, and in my experience produce a cleaner cut in softer woods....however a 6 inch will cut through harder woods easier as the tooth will have more force behind it...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
walleye vision said:
Really...bid $50 over. Sounds like a scam to me. No thanks
It is a valid bidding strategy...but your hoping no one else tried it either.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Check your owners manual. They only recommend a 6" stacked dado for that saw and you can't cut beveled dadoes. It's the weight of the set that is an issue with a smaller saw like the Ridgid, too much strain on the arbor and motor. Probably not much to worry about with occasional use but could be if running larger dadoes blades all day. There can be interference issues with the full width of a stacked 8" set, too. It's true that most dadoes you cut are not very deep but sleds might be used that raise the stock and the dado cut can be deeper with cuts like tenons. However, there are other ways to do dadoes besides using a stacked dado on the table saw and in many cases, those are a better choice.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have both 6" and 8" and like Ryan said the 8" gives a smoother cut. Recently while rebuilding my deck I had to half lap some 4 X 4's and the 6" would not work for that.

·
SS user
2,689 Posts
As Joe B points out, an 8" will do 1/2 depth cuts in 4" stock. However, I'd heed Hammer1's caution.
Often, a router will suffice for most dado work
I have an 8" and wish I'd have gone with a 6", though the 8" has a better cut that my old 6" did. Most of my dado use is for box joints.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
So now you tell me I shouldn't have been using an eight inch stacked dado set on my old Craftsman table saw. All these years of use and no problem cutting regular type dadoes (mostly 1/4 - 3/8 inch deep). :)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It is a valid bidding strategy...but your hoping no one else tried it either.
I have done the same thing in the past. I would wait as long as I could stand it, then enter my maximum bid that I would pay. ebay does the bidding for you until it reaches your limit. Then you are out if someone else comes along.

There is also software that will do the same thing only it will wait until the last second! :eek: I think that is called "snipeing".

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is also software that will do the same thing only it will wait until the last second! :eek: I think that is called "snipeing".
That would be sniping..... "Snipeing" would be when you send your friend down the hill with a bag to catch the snipes that you scared making noise at the top!..... :laughing:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
6" sets are easier to spin, and sometimes less expensive.

The Avenger AV-69930 6" set is on sale for $57 shipped from Amazon. It gets pretty good reviews. There's not much for less that I'd even bother with.

If you don't mind spending more, the Infinity Dadonator is super.

·
John
3,028 Posts
The other problem with the 4510 is the riving knife retaining hardware will likely get in the way of the 8" set if you have much of a stack on it. I just run the Freud 6" stack and the only time I didn't have enough depth was cross lapping some 2x4's. I took the last 1/4" out with a router and template bit. :smile:
According to the manual, max dado is 6" diameter, 3/4" stack, I don't recall seeing anything about beveled dado's, will have to look that up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts