Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so after seeing various posts on router sleds and using them to level cutting boards, I decided to make my own.
the problem I am having is the router sits on a 3/4in board, and I don't have a bit that reaches much below the board itself.

I went out and bought a long mortising bit but am hesitating on using it, as it looks like it is a v groove on the bottom and not a flat bottom.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey could a mod switch this to the tips,tricks and homemade jigs section? I think it fits better there

·
John
3,028 Posts
Just about any large diameter, flat bottom bit will work. Here are a couple of inexpensive ones I use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-1-2-Sh-1-3-4-Diameter-Bottom-Cleaning-Router-Bit-/130887306329?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item1e797dcc59

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-1-2-SH-New-Bits-Drawer-Lock-Joint-Router-Bit-/130819131762?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item1e756d8972

The drawer lock does not have cutters across the bottom surface so needs to be started off the work piece and moved into it. The bottom cleaning bit will plunge slightly.

The problem is most, if not all, of those bits are relatively short and your 3/4" base is the issue. Kind of like mounting your router directly to the table top instead of using a mounting plate. I'd suggest you rethink the sled and maybe use the approach in the picture, ie suspending the router. This approach is also referred to as "router skiis" :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
tito5 said:
so after seeing various posts on router sleds and using them to level cutting boards, I decided to make my own.
the problem I am having is the router sits on a 3/4in board, and I don't have a bit that reaches much below the board itself.

I went out and bought a long mortising bit but am hesitating on using it, as it looks like it is a v groove on the bottom and not a flat bottom.
Can you post a picture of your set up? Can you put something under the board to get it closer to your sled?
Tom

·
John
3,028 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts