Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering what everyone's preference is for sanding discs and orbital sander choice. In my area there is not a lot of choice in sanding discs and I know there has to be better. I currently use a Makita random orbital sander and blue line hook and loop sanding discs. I find that the sander jumps around a lot more than it should on my material. I've tried different speeds, but nothing seems to make a difference which leads me to believe that its the sanding discs. I've tried some Mirka Abranet in a 400 G but wondering what they would be like in a 120 or 150 grit.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've been using Mirka discs from amazon just due to the price and ease of ordering. They're ok for what they cost, but klingspor f weight sanding discs are the best I've ever used. Hands down.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree klingspor is some great stuff it cuts great and the discs last forever. You can buy it on eBay pretty cheap too. Around 20 to 30 bucks for a fifty pack based on what grit ya get.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I picked up some ShopSmith disks and really like them. Seem to last too. They get good reviews. I wouldn't believe it I'd I hadn't used them myself. I'm talking about sanding hard woods. Don't know about soft woods. For years I used 3M Stikit. Still do but got lazy and mostly just use the ROS now.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Bill White said:
Mirka mostly. Just bought some Shop Smith disks, and was impressed.:thumbsup:
Bill
I could be wrong but I thought I heard they used ceramic. I think the disks load up far less and the grit is very consistent reducing the chance for that rogue swirl mark. They cost a bunch though.

Al

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree klingspor is some great stuff it cuts great and the discs last forever. You can buy it on eBay pretty cheap too. Around 20 to 30 bucks for a fifty pack based on what grit ya get.
Right now until supplies run out Klingspor has 5" 8 hole and 5 hole disks on sale, fifty pks for $9.95 a few other disks as well some 6". Deal doesn't get much better then that...lol...sale isn't on all grits, but the big ones 150, 220 and 320 are there

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/clearance.aspx

Thanks all. Just ordered an assortment pack of klingspor on ebay. Gonna give them a try.
Oh I just missed you, couldn't safe'd some money.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I looked up their catalog and that type of sandpaper (aluminum zirconia) is recommended for stock removal not finish work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I looked up their catalog and that type of sandpaper (aluminum zirconia) is recommended for stock removal not finish work.
So your saying if I use this 220 grit it will be different then a finishing 220 grit...what would be the point of having a grit label, not working on a car here, doing wood work I very seldom go past 220 grit, maybe 320 at times.

edit: Just wanted to add, not being a smart a$$ just asking the question, I never looked at it that way, always thought grit is grit, materials used just make the disk just last longer or shorter before replacing.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That was my thought as well....but according to the klingspor catalog it appears the grit type is dependent upon your use. I may try calling them later to get some clarification.

·
Registered
423 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klingspor-S...931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acb9952b3

I buy all of it right here its always the same honestly I did not know klingspor made 5 types. All that i have is stearate aluminum oxide. I wasn't trying to step on any toes just merely saying that I use it and haven't noticed any problems when finishing. I always start with their 80g then to the 120 , then 180 and that's as high as I go. Sometimes I even skip the 120 on things that are that important or noticeable. Then I use the 320g for scuffing between coats of poly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I just looked back and seen that you mentioned it was the alluminum zircona paper. And now I see that mine is stearate aluminum oxide. So ignore my ignorant post lol. Like I said I didn't realize there were so many different types that they produced

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
wood_chucker said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klingspor-Sandpaper-5-x8-Hole-Hook-Loop-Sanding-Discs-Assorted-400-1500-g-/321243402931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acb9952b3

I buy all of it right here its always the same honestly I did not know klingspor made 5 types. All that i have is stearate aluminum oxide. I wasn't trying to step on any toes just merely saying that I use it and haven't noticed any problems when finishing. I always start with their 80g then to the 120 , then 180 and that's as high as I go. Sometimes I even skip the 120 on things that are that important or noticeable. Then I use the 320g for scuffing between coats of poly.
Would you be interested to know how you could shave hours of sanding time and never have to buy 80 grit paper again?

Al

1 - 20 of 24 Posts