Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the older simpler styled table furniture (and some modern pieces too) have a simple square leg that goes from the table to the floor, but about 4" or so before they reach the floor there is an angled outward bend to the leg that I presume adds to the table's stability and also makes it a bit more stylish.

How is this acheived? Are pieces shaped and glued, or is a router involved, or just how does one go about turning out such a leg?

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
I don't know what the name is for them either but you could just mark a line and cut it with a bandsaw and use a belt sander to sand the saw marks off. If it was more than 4" you could taper it on a jointer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure if there is a name for the style or not, but I have made them before. First thing I would do is make a template of the shape you want, usually make them out of hard board or MDF. Trace the template onto your leg stock and cut it close to size on the bandsaw. Attach it to the template and rout it using a flush trim bit on a router table.

·
Registered
970 Posts
legs-002.jpg

1 - Bobbin, 2 - Baluster, 3 - Twist, 4 - Cup and cover, 5 - Flemish scroll, 6 - 'Square', 7 - Louis XV 8, - Plain cabriole, 9 - Carved cabriole ,10 - Taper, 11 - Chippendale straight, 12 - Hepplewhite, 13 - Hepplewhite decorated, 14 - Adam, 15 & 16 - Sabre, 17 - Pre-Victorian, 18 - American fancy, 19 - Windsor, 20-23 - Victorian, 24 - Modern Cabriole

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Ok, I misunderstood about the leg flaring outward. For that type leg you could glue additional wood to two sides of the bottom of the legs and bandsaw it out. After cutting one side keep the loose pieces and tape them back on the leg so it lays flat on the saw to bandsaw the other side.

Attachments

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Warning,warning...thread drift......warning.

In mics_54 leg chart,can I have about 3 or 4 dz of #9's please.All hand made of course,haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts