Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Justin_ said:
Ok, so here's a dumb question I've always wondered: do the holes serve any purpose?
Good question.
At first I couldn't tell what it was you were showing. I don't know so I'll grab a seat to see if someone can chime in.
Where you at Dave Paine? Lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hmmm...looks like the toolrest I sold with my old tube lathe. Only had one toolrest and it never was long enough. So I drilled it for an auxiliary piece that I screwed to it. Don't laugh, it worked!

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with C'man. First time I have seen holes in the tool rest. Likely they are to allow some method of attaching a guide.

I prefer my tool rests to be solid, smooth and steel with a hardened wear edge. I like the Robust tool rests. Drill stock welded to the edge for wear. Long smooth curved steel. These stand up to a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You re not going to believe this but yesterday as I was turning and changing tool rest I had the same question. I figured I would ask here as there are many experienced turners who should know. You just beat me to asking the question. Hopefully we will get an answer.
Tom

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have never seen one either but.....
IF you are using indexing you could attach a jig to also drill/punch/mark the same distance from the edge or rim of an item. A lot more accurate than holding the drill or item on the rest where it can move; just insert through a bushing.

I had been thinking of turning something for a sister-in-law that would require about ½” diameter holes drilled about 1/8” deep around the perimeter of a bowl lip.

Something new to add to my long list of I wanna make a tool for...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys. Interesting idea about using the hole in conjunction with the indexing. I kinda figured everyone would just say "that's how you hang it on the wall".

This isn't my lathe, but I do plan to eventually get one of those nice round bar tool rests. They look like they work real well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts