Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I can't seem to figure out where in the heck I keep going wrong. I've made a couple drawers to fit underneath some shelves I made. I got them to fit finally, but I am not understanding why they aren't coming together like I feel they should. If the space is 10.5" and I'm using 1" boards with drawer slides with a 1/4" profile, using a butt joint for the front and a rabbet/dado (not sure which is which) in the back...the front face should be 8" and the back 8.5" Makes sense to me on paper, the execution matches the math, but then it doesn't fit....and that's just one side...馃え

I just am not understanding why there is an extraordinary amount of fiddle farting to put them together and in the damn hole...:mad:

here's a sketch to help visualize what I mean....oh and please assume the measurements are actual and not nominal dimensions.

What in the heck am I missing?
Rectangle Handwriting Line Font Slope

where's my table saw?
You say that your boards are 1" thick, but that is highly unlikely! and totally unnecessary for a drawer that small.
More likely the boards are 3/4" thick and even that is excessive unless you are putting lead bars in them.
The drawer slides you show add to the confusion in my opinion. Why not use the bottoms of the sides as runners?
Then the bottoms would slide on the spacer or shelf holding up the drawers giving you a 1/2" more width on either side.
You can use a low friction strip on the bottoms for ease of sliding like Formica or Maple hardwood with wax.
These drawers were made to the opening width, minus 1/8". Formica runners were glued on the edges of the sides, top and bottoms:
Cabinetry Wood Office equipment Wheel Rectangle

You Tube has several videos on simple ways to make drawers.

Drawers with wood slides:

3 ways to make drawers:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The slides are the metal ones with ball bearings in them鈥ll the dimensions were hypothetical, I just wanted to demonstrate how I was coming up with the totals I used鈥

@Half Fast Eddie
You mentioned room for movement? I never considered that being an issue鈥n my brain, if your void (v) = x , you make your drawer (d) = x never occurred to me to include wiggle room (w) that explains the fiddle farting鈥 so how do you know how much to leave though?

So, v=x
And d=x-w

how do I find the value of w?
I鈥檓 sure it depends on a number of different things, is that just something you learn through experience or is there a good rule of thumb to follow?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so say this where I want to put a drawer....if the space is 12" wide, and the metal drawer slides have a 1/4" profile, how wide should I make the drawer? Subtracting 1/4" from each side was obviously not the right answer.. it took a heck of a lot of finagling to get it in there...and I want to do the least amount of finagling the next time...

How wide should the final dimension of the drawer be?

How much more do I take off for each side?

1/32"
1/16"?
1/8"?

Rectangle Parallel Symmetry Tints and shades Electric blue

Read Only
If you mark the top of the sides and take them off you may be able to rip 1/16" off the bottom up to the line, or a little more, if you have a table saw. If not, you can use a plane, or any good sander can be used. Most slides I have used recently call for 1/16" clearance. Just reinstall after you get them narrowed close as you can.

Read Only
If you mark the top of the sides and take them off you may be able to rip 1/16" off the bottom up to the line, or a little more, if you have a table saw. If not, you can use a plane, or any good sander can be used. Most slides I have used recently call for 1/16" clearance. Just reinstall after you get them narrowed close as you can.
Sorry top of slides

Registered
Termite
You drawer box needs to be drawer a slide x 2 +1/16. So if you drawer opening is 12" your drawer box should be 11 7/16 +1/4 +1/4. This will give you 1/16 of play..

where's my table saw?
Ok....I can't seem to figure out where in the heck I keep going wrong. I've made a couple drawers to fit underneath some shelves I made. I got them to fit finally, but I am not understanding why they aren't coming together like I feel they should. If the space is 10.5" and I'm using 1" boards with drawer slides with a 1/4" profile, using a butt joint for the front and a rabbet/dado (not sure which is which) in the back...the front face should be 8" and the back 8.5" Makes sense to me on paper, the execution matches the math, but then it doesn't fit....and that's just one side...馃え

I just am not understanding why there is an extraordinary amount of fiddle farting to put them together and in the damn hole...:mad:

here's a sketch to help visualize what I mean....oh and please assume the measurements are actual and not nominal dimensions.

View attachment 441157
Based on your sketch, I thought you wanted to make wood drawer slides? that's why I posted those videos and photos.......

Reactions: Karri_B

Registered
Without questioning the thickness of your boards, I see two places where there may be error. First, if the bottom fits into 1/4" grooves on all four sides, it's over all dimensions will be 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" (assuming 12" outside length).
Second, to my knowledge, all metal roller slides require 1/2" clearance, not 1/4".
If the hole for the drawer is 10 1/2" wide, your drawer needs to be 9 1/2" wide minus maybe 1/16" extra. So, check the requirements of the actual drawer slides you are using.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@woodnthings
It did indeed look like I meant to have wooden slides鈥hat was my fault

the type of slides I am using are exactly like the ones in the second video鈥oft close they might be called?

@Rebelwork
thank you鈥ust to be sure, it鈥檚 a total of 1/16鈥 which is 1/32鈥 per side鈥(seeing it as sides that works better for my brain) lol

Read Only
@woodnthings

the type of slides I am using are exactly like the ones in the second video鈥oft close they might be called?

@Rebelwork
thank you鈥ust to be sure, it鈥檚 a total of 1/16鈥 which is 1/32鈥 per side鈥(seeing it as sides that works better for my brain) lol
If you have the literature that came with them check them for clearance. Many of them are 1/16 each.

Premium Member
The product you are using should have instructions either with them or available online, that will determine the width of your drawer, the type of drawer front will determine where they are mounted.

Registered
Termite
@woodnthings

@Rebelwork
A 1/16 is plenty.. Most application will need zero clearance, but it's safe to use 1/16. 1/8 is too much if zero is the goal to begin with...

Most cabinet shops run software to lay out their cabinets. With most plywood being undersized, but products like melamine keeping there thickness of actually 1/2. shops didn't didn't make adjustment becausd two pieces of the 1/2 ply equaled 15/16 together making the drawers 1/16 less . So when drawers are layed out they just use the 1/2 setting but lose 1/16 overall... Doesn't cause problems with drawer operation.

Registered

View attachment 441157
Perhaps your 1/4" dado's are not exactly 1/4". The best thing to do with drawer sides like that is to put the two sides together and see if the grooves combined measure 1/2". If it measures 17/32" that would make your back too small or if it measured15/32" your back would be too big. Then sometimes a dado blade doesn't machine the dado completely flat at the bottom. This can screw up your parts sizes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts