Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am in the process of purchasing a band saw. This will be my first one. I want to make sure that it can do resawing as well as quality curved cuts without difficulty. I am not interested in a 14" only 16 up so that I will have a dequate power and stability without going to the design limits of the saw.

I know that MMax and the other Italians or the saws of choice for many high end users. I am thinking about purchasing the g0636X. It costs $2,139 delivered. I really can't afford to go higher than that. What do you all think? It looks, on paper and from some of the other forum sites, like a good buy.

I am not in a rush at all. I can buy this month or 3 months from now it depends on when the best deal/special comes along.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally, I can't imagine that any saw that costs $2100 would be any less than outrageously outstanding.

(I own a $99 Ryobi bandsaw... so you can see where I'm coming from :laughing::shifty:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Buffalo,
I totally understand. If I though that I could get away with buying a $100 saw that would resaw any wood at least 12 inches thick and allow me to make curves on wood that's at least 14 inches wide I would keep that extra 2K in my pocket for sure. I am hoping that this saw will help me prepare I mean prepare my breakfast at least for that cost.:laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you looked at the Laguna band saws they are great! http://www.lagunatools.com/lt16hdclass.htm. I had a Grizzly G0514X and I ended up selling it, it had a hard time doing the work resawing maple and rosewood, and bought the Laguna HD16LT. The Laguna is by far a much better machine. I have had it for about 2 yrs now and I resaw for guitars and for cabinet work and it is the best. It costs more but well worth it if you want a professional working machine with no problems at all. Good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
For $2K, I would sure look at a used saw. I know that there is something to buying something that you can always go back to the manufacturer and complain, but at that price, you start to be able to consider really good saws, like real industrial saws, IF you have the power and space. Tannewitz, etc. You should easily find something like a Delta 20" used for that price. That is not so big and doesn't take that much power, (2 hp, as I have one). Good machine, though not a great machine like the Tannewitz. But it does depend on whether you want to devote the space to such a machine and whether you will use it enough. If you were doing this professionally, I would certainly recommend a better saw. I do think Grizzly is improving, but I still haven’t been overly impressed with service. In which case, used is not much less service. And if you have a good older saw, there are groups like OWWM that will help you thru any problem.
I don’t know where you are, so don’t know what Craigslist you might look on, or if the ebay is a better venue. Consider also the OWWM site, I notice that someone in Virginia is selling a Northfield 27” 2hp for half what you are saying. Certainly few could dispute that Northfield makes some of the finest if not THE finest woodworking machinery in the USA today. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Laguna Band Saws The Best!!

My first purchase was a 16HD I purchased that specifically for Resaw, then I loved that one so much, I decided to leave that one set up for Resaw only and get a Laguna 14SE for all other, everyday cuts, I Love them both. The both of them of cut with such precision and accuracy, since then ive gotten rid of all my Deltas, but i still have kept my 10" Inca for small accurate work, Once you get your Laguna you won't be dissappointed!!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
my grizzly

If you would like to look at my 19" Grizzly Bandsaw you are more than welcome to. I live in Rosenberg. It might give you a better idea. I am guessing that is a much bigger Grizzly bandsaw....just a thought.
Bobby

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
There's a few of us in the Bay Area that are running band saws, but not near that scale... I have a pretty simple 14" Central Machinery. It does fine for the uses I put it to... I haven't tried resawing past 8" though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Saw

I bought one when they first came out and I cannot say enough good about it. I resawed a bounch of 2 x 12's into 3/8" paneling for my porch and the saw never new it was cutting. I cut some 1/16" black walnut veneer also. It is a tank, lots of steel, I am very happy with my purchase. I also bought several other Grizzly tools since, a 6" jointer and a new G0691 table saw. Great tools for the money and very quick shipping.

I am in the process of purchasing a band saw. This will be my first one. I want to make sure that it can do resawing as well as quality curved cuts without difficulty. I am not interested in a 14" only 16 up so that I will have a dequate power and stability without going to the design limits of the saw.

I know that MMax and the other Italians or the saws of choice for many high end users. I am thinking about purchasing the g0636X. It costs $2,139 delivered. I really can't afford to go higher than that. What do you all think? It looks, on paper and from some of the other forum sites, like a good buy.

I am not in a rush at all. I can buy this month or 3 months from now it depends on when the best deal/special comes along.[/quote]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts