Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting new members all the time. Kevin mentioned one mans trash may be anothers treasure, I am paraphrasing. I have more stuff laying around than is worth listing... but if a fellow member is looking for something and I have it I am willing to work out a swap.
How about if a guy is looking for a small piece of turning stock, small chunk of a certain kinda wood or an old tool/part they list it and we see if we all can work things out that way ?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sounds great to me. I guess if someone is looking for something that is woodworking related then just ask if anyone has it. Nathan would be the one to rearrange the layout.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was just thinking small, but it could be bigger, brothers giving leads on local sales/work etc. I am just used to being a small fish in a big pond in the wood business, kinda hard to sell wood to a guy who has his own sawmill. I forget some times we don't all have one :no:. I sure don't have all the old planes, chisels and a decent brace and bit I would like to have. I am looking for old steel.

I guess that is the first post in the wanted section. I will trade curly maple/ old growth 1/4 sawn oak/ wicked walnut.... for your old tools. I am specifically looking for a decent profile plane. I have a top of the line router/bits and table...but. I am weird (?) that takes the fun out of a "handbuilt" piece.

Whatcha got? Watcha looking for? Check out my gallery, I have some decent wood. ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm fine with people posting wanted items in the classifieds. Would that work?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think this is a good idea. I was just asked today by another BBQ guy for "saw dust" to put in his smoker. Seems alittle too fine for a wood smoker, but that's his call.

Any problem posting Wanted items for non members like in my example? As long as it isn't spam of course.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this is a good idea. I was just asked today by another BBQ guy for "saw dust" to put in his smoker. Seems alittle too fine for a wood smoker, but that's his call.
Maybe it is one of those little electric smokers. I know my brother used to make jerky in one and he used chips like I sent you. Alot of locals smoke game/foul/fish in those little bitty smokers and they come around here for stuff like that. Not sawdust, that does seem light, but finely chipped wood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd like a barter section. Where you can trade items or work for items. I have some cedar pen blanks, would like to trade for some other kind pen blanks. Also I would offer machining or embrodiery up for barter.
What say you all?

Mike

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
The classifieds do encompass For Sale, Wanted, and For Trade or even just make the title reflect your intent.
This is the current policy and really that is the purpose of the title section, to be a snapshot of the content.
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was just thinking small, but it could be bigger, brothers giving leads on local sales/work etc. I am just used to being a small fish in a big pond in the wood business, kinda hard to sell wood to a guy who has his own sawmill. I forget some times we don't all have one :no:. I sure don't have all the old planes, chisels and a decent brace and bit I would like to have. I am looking for old steel.

I guess that is the first post in the wanted section. I will trade curly maple/ old growth 1/4 sawn oak/ wicked walnut.... for your old tools. I am specifically looking for a decent profile plane. I have a top of the line router/bits and table...but. I am weird (?) that takes the fun out of a "handbuilt" piece.

Whatcha got? Watcha looking for? Check out my gallery, I have some decent wood. ;)
I don't know much about that box elder stuff you had...that is a hard wood right? If so, it would make a wonderful solid body guitar.....whats your take on this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know who you are asking but my take is that it's a great idea! In fact I thought about making elec guitar blanks out of it.
Daren had showed a few pics of some box elder.....I probably should have gone to the right forum.....but, I am willing to buy some of that!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here it is right here http://www.powdercreeksawmill.com/ You would have to ask Kevin about the heart shaped pieces, I think they are VERY VERY RARE, so he may have sold them. But what a flying V those would make.

I'm sure he could scare up a killer slab for a guitar body or 2, even though wood like the one in the slab picture is pretty hard to find.

I personally think that is a great idea, if I'm not mistaken it's in the maple family. How thick is a solid body blank ? 2 1/4" ? I would imagine there are many guitar makers who would KILL for something like that, totally unique. The "starburst" color is IN the grain.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Yea that heart shaped one I wish I had not sold now that my wife got a lathe; it's arriving any day. I doubt I can ever find another but I always have an eye out for one.

I have stayed in touch with the guy who bought it and he's gonna let me post a picture of it on my website after he turns it for his wife's V-Day present. :thumbsup:

I do have have quite a bit of the RBE harvested and in the shop sealed. I haven't been promoting it been busy frying other fish, but I have still been getting orders for it from past ebay listsings and people whostumble across my website so I am still taking orders.

I Would be happy to try and get you the piece you are looking for. PM me your requirments and I'll go a hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wanted section?

Sounds like a great idea to me...would like to see some really good stuff listed for sale or stuff needed to buy.
I posted a want to buy item on NC woodworker forum a few days ago
that I wanted....no hits so far. I wanted to buy a plunge base for a
Dewalt 616 or 618 router....seems as if none for sale. New price from Dewalt is WAY out of reason in my opinion! eezlock

1 - 20 of 23 Posts