Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been one week since I sent out the email launching this site and so far we have 215 members and over 800 posts!

To give you some idea it took us 4 months to get 800 posts and 200 members on ContractorTalk.com. This site is growing A LOT quicker and seems to have hit a nerve/need.

Thanks to everyone who has helped spread the word about this site
and taken the time to register and post. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it's been one week since I sent out the email launching this site and so far we have 215 members and over 800 posts![
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And no fights yet!! Woodcrafters are a mild mannered bunch. Congrats Nathan.!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Congrats Nathan...

It looks like it's coming along fine...lots of excellent craftsmen on here too...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nathon, a few observations/comments.

First of all I appreciate the site.

As you know there are a lot of woodworking sites out there… high industry production to hobbyist. All have valuable information, and some are more friendly than others.

I’m beyond hobbyist for quite some years now, but have never lost that hobbyist curiosity/mentality so picking through some of the more (for me) insipid posts elsewhere is really no big deal.

There are arrogant SOBs with little or lots of knowledge on these sites. There are WONDEFUL people with much knowledge on these sites… way more than I have by a few lifetimes. If you look at the numbers where people are friendly AND knowledgeable, there are very high topics/posts/people-online, etc. But you know this.

My feedback would be, to remember that the subject of woodworking, for novice or pro, is an inexplicable attraction like politics or love!

IMO, this site will grow or die based on the balance between the quality of knowledge and its people. As for the people, definitely a good start. Also, I’d not hesitate posting links to other woodworking sites if answers be there.

Good luck!

Paul

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I’d not hesitate posting links to other woodworking sites if answers be there.
Thanks Paul,

I have no problem with people posting links to other sites. Most of the major websites to I compete with (this site and my others) are major magazines with great articles. They have a huge number of resources and I'm all for using them.
The difference between them and me is I'm just one guy and they are a huge company. I just try to do one thing and do it well... forums.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm glad I found this one by accident searching for something else , appears we're all pretty much on the ground floor here , so our actions or reactions will go a long way to the life or death of this place .. I'm on two other woodworking forums , just found both recently ..

One is an Australian site
www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au

The other is SawmillCreek
www.sawmillcreek.org

Both are pretty large , pushing 10,000 members ..
Nothing against growth , but I prefer a smaller one myself ..

Hope to hang around for a spell , learn a bit :thumbsup: , and pass along a bit as well :eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we haven't even hit two weeks yet and we have 1,000 posts and I think by monday (our two week mark) we will have over 250 members.

Thanks again for everyone who has helped spread the word and please let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts