Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WFC Easel :Finished

Well I finally got some shop time today after the Thanksgiving/ Black Friday festivities, so I got started on the easel for Woodworkers fighting cancer. I got most of it done I'll finish the tray tomorrow and the panels as well.

I built it out of red cedar since I still had a bunch left over from some projects last year. Sometimes its a lot of fun to just relax and build a fun simple project. Especially after a complete kitchen remodel. Not to mention its for a great cause. When I'm finished I would like to try and auction it off or sell it and donate the proceeds as well. Does anyone know of anyway to go about this?

Anyway here are a couple of progress pics. I'll finish her up tomorrow and post the completed pics as well.

Also does anyone know how well that cedar will take a dye. Im just not sure how desirable it would be to children finished naturally. I have some dark walnut transtint dye that I could use. I'm not shooting for any particular color finish. Just something to make it look a little less country/rustic than the natural cedar.

easel 1.jpg easel2.jpg

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
I'm doing a couple, one is being donated to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Good to see others here getting involved in this. I have to make the trays for mine as I have the legs and panels done. I'm changing the design a little and attaching the trays directly to the legs rather than have them be removable.

You might ask around to local hospitals about donating it to them, or talk to the manager at your favorite bar about an auction.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pretty much stuck to the plan exactly as they were wrote. My wife as a child spent a great deal of the time at the Ronald McDonald house with her handicapped sister. She is going to attempt to contact them to see of they would be intersted in it for there art department. So maybe that will work out if so I think I will try to make a couple more and maybe some other little things.

The deadline is the 9 for the donations to the acs. This is very very simple. If anyone else want to build one I would urge you to do so there is still plenty of time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well a couple days late it took longer to finish this thing than I planned. The dye worked great on the cedar I couldn't be happier. Finished with three coats of wb poly. I just got done submitting it just in time for the deadline. So here she is.
IMG_7397.jpg IMG_7398.jpg IMG_7399.jpg

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
johnnie52 said:
I love what you did for a finish. Changes the tone of the wood completely. :thumbsup: I should have mine all wrapped up on Sunday. :yes:
Mine likely won't be done-done by the deadline. I've been doing a load of pre-deployment training/paperwork, and just haven't had the time to do anything more than cut and sand the wood and purchase the other materials needed. But it's the thought that counts, right?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow I wouldn't have guess that was cedar to begin with that finish looks great!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Beautiful work.

I am thinking of making one for my daughter when she is older using 16 ga steel under the chalk board paint for magnets to stick to...white board the same way on the reverse side.

Hope mine looks at least half as good as yours.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure it will you know now they sell magnetic paint that you can roll on then paint wig chalkboard over it. Just an idea to help keep the weight down.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mine likely won't be done-done by the deadline. I've been doing a load of pre-deployment training/paperwork, and just haven't had the time to do anything more than cut and sand the wood and purchase the other materials needed. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Yeah the thought is most important. I thought mine would be all finished today until my compressor died. I won't get mine assembled until tomorrow. :furious:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts