Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
that turned out great!

I may be a glue bit convert myself. I got the Bosch 1/2" shank router bit yesterday. So now the $64.00 question.... how are the ends fastened or are they? They look seamless like they are glued to the length. It's a nice finish and from what you say easy to do as well. :thumbsup: bill

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I may be a glue bit convert myself. I got the Bosch 1/2" shank router bit yesterday. So now the $64.00 question.... how are the ends fastened or are they? They look seamless like they are glued to the length. It's a nice finish and from what you say easy to do as well. :thumbsup: bill
Thx Bill, the breadboard ends are standard design, doweled with three dowels for 2 1/2" center with glue across the 2 1/2". The rest is free floating, doweled with elongated holes in the tongue. Interesting, with the finish the top can move as much as 1/4" across the BB ends in three days, kind of breathing in and out.

The ends look seamless, as I dropped the outfeed table on my jointer a fraction to joint the BB ends, so the are slightly concave, meaning if one pulls the center glued 2 1/2" tight the BB closes the possible gaps at each end.

Next top I do, I will try the normal edge glue using cauls, I have never done that before. A joint bit takes a lot of practice, but once you have it mastered it works real well.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
WillemJM said:
The ends look seamless, as I dropped the outfeed table on my jointer a fraction to joint the BB ends, so the are slightly concave, meaning if one pulls the center glued 2 1/2" tight the BB closes the possible gaps at each end.

I was never a big fan of a BB end, because of a possible loose looking fit...that there is an excellent solution.

Beautiful top you made.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts