Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wenge is a very beautiful wood, but boy did it really tick me off this last week!

Any tips or tricks to avoid chipping and blow-out? I tried several things, but it's so brittle...especially the quarter sawn stuff.

My intention for the Box-a-Week build was to make three, small sliding lid boxes with Wenge and Marblewood. I ended up with a single, more simple Wenge lift lid box that I whipped up over the weekend from the salvaged parts of the three planned boxes.

http://www.secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/01/not-boxes-youre-looking-for.html

Next time Wenge...next time! :gunsmilie:

Attachments

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I've never worked with wenge but I worked with other woods bad to blow out. Sometimes you have to use a climb cut when routing a edge. Then sometimes you have to leave the wood a little thick and sand it to the finished thickness with a belt sander to clean up the tear outs.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Extremely sharp blades, high RPM for routing (I think), and a lot of patience. Wenge is quite hard and brittle but is amazingly pretty wood when finished.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bill White said:
And watch out for the splinters. :eek: Bill
This is my only problem with it. Ouch! No matter how careful I try to be I end up with a few god ones in my hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts