Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I'm working on an art project for a friend. The project involves burning little wood houses, trees, cars etc. and then making a film from them.
So my question is: does anyone know of different ways to construct miniatures and finish wood that will cause different piece to burn in cool ways. Whether it's different colors or burn speed or anything really. It's suppose to be dazzling, and unfortunately California hates fireworks.
Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Plenty of chemicals will change the burn style. Sodium chloride will produce green flame, potassium chloride blue. maybe I have that backwards... Anyway, it's possible. What result were you looking for? For general information I'd look at firework color charts, the same Chantal's used to change their colours also usually work in regular fire

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Particles of steel like from a grinder will sparkle like a sparkler when sprinkled onto a flame. Perhaps it would work if you sprinkled it onto spray adhesive attached to your wood shapes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Sparkling and different colors are all welcomed ideas. I may try to mix in some magnesium shavings to try and get that bright sparkle as well.

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,561 Posts
Plenty of chemicals will change the burn style. Sodium chloride will produce green flame, potassium chloride blue. maybe I have that backwards... Anyway, it's possible. What result were you looking for? For general information I'd look at firework color charts, the same Chantal's used to change their colours also usually work in regular fire
Sodium makes a bright yellow flame, potassium is the blue, copper salts make green, and I think lithium makes a purple flame.
Look up flame tests in chemistry and you can get a much longer list. One thing you could do is soak a porous wood with nitrate salts, which will act as an oxidizer and make the wood burn faster.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Sodium makes a bright yellow flame, potassium is the blue, copper salts make green, and I think lithium makes a purple flame.
Look up flame tests in chemistry and you can get a much longer list. One thing you could do is soak a porous wood with nitrate salts, which will act as an oxidizer and make the wood burn faster.
I knew i got those colors wrong... Been a while since i looked up the charts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts