Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a "Bailey" no. 5 hand Plane. No Stanley name on it. Patented April 1910 . Instead of a traditional lever cap,It has a (I think its called) tension wheel. Anyone know about this?

Todays nerd..tomorrows player

·
7,222 Posts
If the plane does not have BAILEY or STANLEY showing, it is likely a knock-off. Many companies used the Stanley model numbers.

I do not know what a tension wheel looks like. A few pictures will help others to help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I don't actually have it yet. Should be here anyday. from looking at the pictures.. I've never seen anything like it. It has a wheel on the front of it in place of where the lever cap is supposed to be. Maybe its rare? Don't know. I do know it only has Bailey and no 5 and I think pat. Apr 1910. But no Stanley name on it. anyways I'll know more once it gets here. and take pictures right away to post them here or in a new thread. Thanx

Todays nerd..tomorrows player

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stanley Bailey planes don't have Stanley cast into the base. Stanley should appear on the lateral lever, the cutting iron and possibly on the lever cap(although yours does not have one of those).
One patent date behind the frog makes it a type 13(1925-1928) or type 14(1929-1930). Probably not rare, Bailey No.4 planes show up a lot, everywhere, especially on eBay.

If all it needs is a lever cap, you can find lot's of those on eBay as well. I have a small box full out in my shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts