Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've been doing carpentry work since I was around the age of 12. Interior trim is my specialty with a little bit of framing thrown into the mix. However I've decided to start a new hobby of making furniture. My first project I would like to attempt is an entertainment center similar to what you might see at IKEA (picture is below). My question is how is weight capacity determined while designing/building something such a piece? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've been doing carpentry work since I was around the age of 12. Interior trim is my specialty with a little bit of framing thrown into the mix. However I've decided to start a new hobby of making furniture. My first project I would like to attempt is an entertainment center similar to what you might see at IKEA (picture is below). My question is how is weight capacity determined while designing/building something such a piece? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pictures?

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
The weight capacity would vary a great deal depending on the construction technique and the materials used. You could make longer spans with oak and maple then you could pine. As far as plywood I try not to excede 30" for a shelf. When I have to I use a design which the shelf can be turned over in case it does warp. Raised panel door I try not to make them more than 20" wide. It seems to put too much stress on the hinges and I personally don't like the appearance of a very wide door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts