Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on the weight capacity of 2x6s and 4x4s and I know I'm in the right place to be asking this question!

I'm wanting to build elevated planters that are going to keep my privacy bamboo out of the ground (that should help avoid that bamboo creep issue). essentially I want to use 4x4s as posts and start the planter at 1ft off the ground, with a 2ft deep planter.

Overall base sq.ft would be 2x8, and I'll put two 4x4s in the middle to help support the load. I'll use half laps for the entire 2x6 "apron" then lay 2x6 slats across that.

Think my plan will work, or am I going to see a cubic yard of dirt in the middle of my yard when I wake up?

Curtis

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Curious on the weight capacity of 2x6s and 4x4s and I know I'm in the right place to be asking this question!

I'm wanting to build elevated planters that are going to keep my privacy bamboo out of the ground (that should help avoid that bamboo creep issue). essentially I want to use 4x4s as posts and start the planter at 1ft off the ground, with a 2ft deep planter.

Overall base sq.ft would be 2x8, and I'll put two 4x4s in the middle to help support the load. I'll use half laps for the entire 2x6 "apron" then lay 2x6 slats across that.

Think my plan will work, or am I going to see a cubic yard of dirt in the middle of my yard when I wake up?

Curtis
Could you do a rough sketch thingy? I don't want to comment unless I understand exactly what you're asking.

·
where's my table saw?
29,616 Posts
hmmmm

2 ft wide X 8 ft long X 2 ft tall starting 1 ft off the ground.
4 X 4 supports in the center.
2 X 6 aprons all around ...

Now the questions...what are the sides of the planters made of?
Is this just a support for the boxes or will this BE the box?
Wet dirt weighs a lot more than dry or damp dirt.

A sketch will be useful as suggested.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference is that the bamboo I'm getting is free from a friend of mine down the road. I really want to give us some backyard privacy and I think this will do it. I'm almost thinking that I could get away with stringers instead of half laps but I'll leave that to the experts (you guys)

Attachments

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
I agree. I don't think you'll have any issues using 4x4s and 2x6s. Both of those can handle significant weight. I'm know nothing about the water requirements of bamboo, but I know the dirt will dry pretty quickly if you don't have some kind of container to hold water. 2x6s aren't exactly impervious to water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts