Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I used a froe and a 3lb wooden mallet to split a cedar shake block into 4 slabs.
Smoothed all the faces with a big crooked knife then tapered the slabs with an elbow adze.
Carved a fishy thing on the outside of each slab and dry-fit the pieces as an umbrella stand.
Opened up and MinWax Tung Oil Protective finish 2X and steel wool on the insides.

This weekend? The delightful task of glue and 12 birch pegs for assembly.
Mark and carve the cedar base like water waves. Slop finish on the outside carvings.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AaBower said:
That is a great looking bench! By any chance do you have a set of plans for building that?
Thanks guy...... No plans, sorry. I just had an idea and went with it but I'd be more than happy to share any details.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not very exciting, but very necessary: cleaning and re-organizing the shop. Purpose has changed a bit, so some stuff is going into storage, some on Craigslist, and some new stuff coming in. I'll post before and after pics when it's all done. This will be a two or three weekend project, I think.

WCT

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Basic stuff: I'm nominally building a small red oak box, but I'm actually trying to learn to cut 45 degree bevels on long edges, keep my combination plane plowing parallel to the edge of the board, and cut cross grain rabbets. If things go far enough I may start cutting some dovetails, too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Holy crap that is one hell of a shop. Nice bench and a serious DC.

Im finishing my basement in order to have a better organized shop. New tankless water heater. Goin to replace water lines with PEX. Cant wait for it to be finished. IM tired!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Friday I sanded and started finishing a couple keepsake/jewelry boxes I'm making.

I also started packing up my shop yesterday and today. We're going to be moving and the first thing packed up (and eventually the last thing to be unpacked) is my shop. Not going to get to do any woodworking for at least a few months... Need to get my family settled in first before I can get my shop set up. Also no wood or tool purchases for a while - going to be a while before I can afford to buy any wood or tools...

By the end of the week I anticipate that my shop will be almost completely packed up... I think I'll be going through withdrawals not long after that...

·
Registered
406 Posts
My "finishing" the banana stand has turned into cleaning, testing and using for the first time my dovetail saw from the batch order on here, doing my first blind m&t joint, learning why hand-cut bridle joints are not a good idea for a beginner (EVERY cut line is exposed!), working with cherry for the first time, using a brace bit to rough out another m&t joint and all this before getting to the secret compartment that is the key to this gift. Looks like this project ain't gonna get done this weekend. But there have been a lot of firsts!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just finished sanding and finally got a coat of finish on the train table I'm building for my son. If you've ever stepped on a Thomas toy train in bare feet, you'll know why this project was moving to the top of my list.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts