Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, I'm hoping to get to the Fuller Craft Museum (in Brockton, MA).

They are hosting some members of crafts guilds in the New England states, and special guest Binh Pho. The description suggests that as pieces are developed, they will be handed on from one to the next (one turns, another embellishes, that sort of thing.)

I really hope I remember :laughing:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a fantastic event.

I went both days, it was so enthralling to watch masterful artists doing their magic, just inches away.

On the second day, I put one of my crummy lidded boxes in my pocket and took it along, thinking to ask if I could try using the pyrography tool and/or the 400,000 rpm dental drill to make a few skid-marks on it.

I'm not sure whether Binh Pho misunderstood my question or knew what I was asking and chose to politely deflect rather than give a straight "no" -- but he took my piece and worked on it himself. I now have piece that is a collaboration between me and Binh Pho :eek:

Thanks to Donna Banfield for taking these pix of him working on it, and me staring in slack-jawed disbelief ...

Artist Hand Drawing Clockmaker Watchmaker

Hand Finger Drawing Nail

Event Art

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And this is what he did: by cutting V-shaped grooves and air-brushing different colored paints from each side, he made a background that changes color when you look from different angles.

Head-on: kind of purplish ...
Wood Cylinder Hardwood Wooden block Beige

From the left: blue ...
Cylinder Beige earthenware Wood

And from the right: reddish ...
Wood Stool Hardwood Table Cylinder

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Binh did a wonderful job on your box. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like a very worthwhile weekend.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave, it was mind-blowing. Everyone there was doing good work, excellent craftsmanship ... but it was stuff I might have figured out how to do myself.

What Binh was doing required such a leap of imagination -- in addition to top-notch technical skills in several disciplines -- that I would never have understood what had to be done, let alone develop the skills to actually do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts