Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is just priming and painting ok for a small storage shed that will be outdoors?

We don't get much rain (or humidity for that matter) in Southern California but I am just wondering if I need to treat the wood or if just painting it would be ok. It is primarily constructed of construction grade 2X4's and outdoor plywood for the most part. Obviously, as in anything, I would like it to last but I'm just not sure how extensive it needs to be. My neighbor seems to think just painting should be fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
I kinda believe in using pressure treated wood for all exterior wood but since you have it built with common wood to prime and paint it would be enough. Just make sure you go over it fill any holes and caulk any gaps before you paint. When water gets behind the wood where air can't get to it, it stays wet for a long time and contributes to rot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve - I almost went with this material (cannot remember the name) that was plywood with a thick coating of a fiber cement material. It was extremely expensive, super heavy, and I believe it was stated that I needed a special blade for cutting it down. (not sure on that one). It was definitely nice but seemed just overkill for where I live. Thank you for the response :)

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
Steve - I almost went with this material (cannot remember the name) that was plywood with a thick coating of a fiber cement material. It was extremely expensive, super heavy, and I believe it was stated that I needed a special blade for cutting it down. (not sure on that one). It was definitely nice but seemed just overkill for where I live. Thank you for the response :)
The fiber cement board would have been a bad choice. While it makes a great backer board for ceramic tile to use by itself is pretty brittle and easily broken. The plywood you are using will last much longer. As far as cutting it if you don't cut too many you can just buy some cheap disposable circular saw blades to cut it or you can use a fiber masonry blade. I bought a cheap diamond blade at harbor freight almost 20 years ago for I think about 28 bucks I've cut a lot of it with as well as cinder blocks and bricks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Steve,

It wasn't actually backer board itself, I guess that was misleading when I type cement material, but it was almost as thick. It was actual plywood on one side and this thick hard resin material over the plywood on the other side. I wish I could remember the name of it but they had 4X8' sheets of it at Lowes and it was, I want to say around $50/sheet. The plywood itself was 1/4 plywood but with the treated side it looked to be about 3/4 or so. It was definitely heavy stuff. Next time I visit the store I'll check the name because it's going to bother me all day now :shifty:

Would have been real trick stuff to use if it wasn't so expensive and I was building my shed to live in.

This is the stuff I used: 5/8 x 4-ft x 8-ft Pine Pressure Treated Plywood

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
Steve,

It wasn't actually backer board itself, I guess that was misleading when I type cement material, but it was almost as thick. It was actual plywood on one side and this thick hard resin material over the plywood on the other side. I wish I could remember the name of it but they had 4X8' sheets of it at Lowes and it was, I want to say around $50/sheet. The plywood itself was 1/4 plywood but with the treated side it looked to be about 3/4 or so. It was definitely heavy stuff. Next time I visit the store I'll check the name because it's going to bother me all day now :shifty:

Would have been real trick stuff to use if it wasn't so expensive and I was building my shed to live in.

This is the stuff I used: 5/8 x 4-ft x 8-ft Pine Pressure Treated Plywood

I guess I'm not familiar with the material you are describing. What you have pictured looks like Roughtex siding. It's really good plywood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That looks like T-111 siding. I built a shed out of that about 20 yrs. ago. Just painted it well after making sure the joints and trim was caulked, as Steve said above. I then sprayed Thompson's on the lower edge to prevent water being wicked up.
The important thing is I made sure it was on a base at least 4" above grade. Still work out of that old shed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> I guess I'm not familiar with the material you are describing.

The material pictured is "T1-11" siding. It's an exterior rated product and is also available as a pressure treated product. Look it up by "googling" "T1-11" for more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.