Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of reading on using HVLP sprayer for applying a finish, what I have not seen in a post is the following:

If applying a WB poly (ex. General Finishes High performance Poly) via a gravity fed HVLP can you just let it sit in the gun for an hour in between applications? What should one do in between applications to ensure the gun doesn't gum up or is this not a concern with these?

This is my first attempt using a sprayer to apply poly.

BTW I am leaning towards the cheapo HF one (verified that my compressor does meet the requirements):
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
I think you would be alright with an hour. Very much more I would take it out of the sprayer and rince the gun out. Anything you work with will seperate and the solids will settle to the bottom and the water and solvents will float up. If you let a finish set in a gravity feed gun for any length of time the solids and flattening agents would settle into the nozzle.

If your gun isn't full to the top, to be certain it hasn't settled to much put your finger loosely over the nozzle and pull the trigger and blow air in the nozzle. That would tend to stir the mixture. If the gun was full it would blow the finish out the air vent and possibly on you.

I have the Hf model 97016 sprayer and I hate it. It has a mason jar type lid on the cup and when you tip the gun forward unless you have it screwed on really tight the finish will travel up into the threads and sets up. Then it almost takes two people to get the lid off of it. The gun sprays fine but it's an aggrevation to use. The cap is really hard to thread even when it's clean. I think you would be happier with their #97855 siphon sprayer. I have four of them and like them a lot.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I have done a lot of reading on using HVLP sprayer for applying a finish, what I have not seen in a post is the following:

If applying a WB poly (ex. General Finishes High performance Poly) via a gravity fed HVLP can you just let it sit in the gun for an hour in between applications? What should one do in between applications to ensure the gun doesn't gum up or is this not a concern with these?

This is my first attempt using a sprayer to apply poly.

BTW I am leaning towards the cheapo HF one (verified that my compressor does meet the requirements):
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html
If your gun has no leaks (air/fluid) you could let it sit. It may get gummy around the needle and tip. Or, keep a masons jar handy and just pour it off, and run some water through the gun. That's what I do.

I would suggest if you get that gun, also get the small air gauge and regulator combo that goes right on the handle of the gun. While you're at it also get the disposable ball filters that thread onto the reg/gauge.
Watch Analog watch Red Stopwatch Watch accessory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.