Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just finished up a cutting board with Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish. I applied 3 coats. I probably could leave it alone as it looks great, but I am going to continue as the directions say by rubbing with 0000 steel wool. I've done this in the past with shellac. I essentially take off all of the shellac (or maybe it just get's burnished). I then used to follow up with butchers paste wax and it would give the wood a beautiful "pastic" and natural look....really nice.

I would like to do this for the cutting board, but I obviously can't use butcher's......What wax can I sparingly apply? I've read about paraffin wax, but I am not keen on applying melted wax to the board as I think it will be too much and too hard to get off. Could I just rub it on unmelted and then rub off any excess with a terry cloth? Would love to do this cheaply.....bees wax would have to be bought online and seems to be expensive.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:sleep1:Ok...no takers.

I am going to go with a product called "Daddy Van's All Natural Beeswax Furniture Polish". Has great reviews on Amazon and will spread like butcher's.

·
7,222 Posts
No real need for the wax.
+1 with C'Man. The wax is not required to get a shiny finish.

You seem a tab impatient. Not a frequent poster since you joined in late Feb 2010, but show frustration that you did not get a response in a few hours.

Since this is a cutting board I would not use steel wool. It will leave small steel particles behind caught in the grain and these could then cause rust stains with future water on the board.

I buff my projects with a Beall buffing system and the Tripoli compound. Provides a nice smooth and glossy finish on Salad Bowl Finish. No need for the wax, which will work off or fade rather quickly with use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. No, not impatient, just trying to be humorous. The grain is all sealed up very well and the wood is very tightly grained. I was going to use the wax only to get the look that wax does so well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts