Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

When I make wood drawer glides for chests or small projects, I've found it better to apply paste wax (Myland's) directly to the bare wood after sanding to fine grit, like 220. When I use a finish like poly or shellac and then apply wax, it seems like it still sticks slightly. The finish just has a slightly tacky touch to it.

My question is: Are there any unforeseen consequences to skipping the film finish in the long term? What do you do in these situations? Do you film finish first and then wax?

Thanks in advance, -SW

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,478 Posts
We have a dresser built in the '50s with bare wooden drawer slides that work fine. I would not put any sort of film finish on them, just the wax. I use hard maple for wooden drawer slide surfaces for better wear characteristics.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a dresser built in the '50s with bare wooden drawer slides that work fine. I would not put any sort of film finish on them, just the wax. I use hard maple for wooden drawer slide surfaces for better wear characteristics.
Agree with Jim. We have several pieces (commercially made, store bought) from the 50s to the 80s all with bare wood slides and they are fine. I probably waxed each of them once or twice over the years. The only thing about not putting a finish on them is that they look "dirty" in time, but that doesn't bother us.

·
Registered
722 Posts
and if you don't wax them, then put short pieces of UHMW tape (or equal) as a slide on the rail (name?) that the drawer sides slide on - else the raffected ail front edges will wear over time.

Reactions: Streamwinner

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
Hi everyone,

When I make wood drawer glides for chests or small projects, I've found it better to apply paste wax (Myland's) directly to the bare wood after sanding to fine grit, like 220. When I use a finish like poly or shellac and then apply wax, it seems like it still sticks slightly. The finish just has a slightly tacky touch to it.

My question is: Are there any unforeseen consequences to skipping the film finish in the long term? What do you do in these situations? Do you film finish first and then wax?

Thanks in advance, -SW
Traditionally drawer boxes, especially the kind with wood slides are not finished at all. Personally I prefer the wood slides that have a runner underneath the center of the drawer. You could go ahead and finish the drawer box with the exception of the bottom of the sides. Then just wax the runner and the groove in the bottom of the drawer box as well as the bottom of the sides. Classic Wood Center-Mount Drawer Slide Of course these are for sale however can be made in a home shop.

·
Registered
Termite
7,919 Posts
Traditionally drawer boxes, especially the kind with wood slides are not finished at all. Personally I prefer the wood slides that have a runner underneath the center of the drawer. You could go ahead and finish the drawer box with the exception of the bottom of the sides. Then just wax the runner and the groove in the bottom of the drawer box as well as the bottom of the sides. Classic Wood Center-Mount Drawer Slide Of course these are for sale however can be made in a home shop.
You can finish or not. “The proof is in the pudding” I made the dovetail cabinet maybe 18 years ago. I sold it this spring and drawer guides worked as well the first day with spray polyurethane. I don’t have to finish my drawer wood slides, but haven’t had a problem. If it rubs through raw wood it’s toast..

if you have wood guides already set in the cabinet and don’t want to disturb, spray it, but don’t brush it. it just takes one run of poly, etc to disturb a well machined part function..

I personally have not had a problem with finished drawer slides, but that doesn’t mean the other 1000 woodworkers didn’t….

·
Registered
722 Posts
My bedroom set of dressers has nail-on slides - I reckon they were installed for a reason or two. They ar enot high-end dressers, but they ain't junk either.

Reactions: Streamwinner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts