Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a river burch bowl blank I bought of eBay. It seems that after sitting in the USPS box in my closet for about 8 months it looks to have mold growing on the sides and top that I never really noticed when I bought it. The entire blank is covered in wax. Is this a bad thing? I paid about 50 bucks for it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Molds will grow on just about any surface that can provide a food source, wax is organic- so there ya have it. +1 on cleaning with very diluted Clorox--that'll do.
On another note; if the blank is completely encased in wax, it'll take a long,long.long (like =never :yes:) time to dry--something to consider if planning to use it.
Before I learned that I could get all the wood I ever need basically for free, I used to buy some off ebay, had to rough turn green and let set--mold never an issue. (Oh-about the wood-- I live in a rural area and take care of many ranchers etc that are happy to give downed trees a new home :smile:)
Dave H

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Molds will grow on just about any surface that can provide a food source, wax is organic- so there ya have it. +1 on cleaning with very diluted Clorox--that'll do.
On another note; if the blank is completely encased in wax, it'll take a long,long.long (like =never :yes:) time to dry--something to consider if planning to use it.
Before I learned that I could get all the wood I ever need basically for free, I used to buy some off ebay, had to rough turn green and let set--mold never an issue. (Oh-about the wood-- I live in a rural area and take care of many ranchers etc that are happy to give downed trees a new home :smile:)
Dave H
Thanks for the help. I need to find a connection like that to some large quantities of wood.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hmm.... might be, but if they are--they'll turn out and likely will be a source of spalting.
Dave H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.