Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a river burch bowl blank I bought of eBay. It seems that after sitting in the USPS box in my closet for about 8 months it looks to have mold growing on the sides and top that I never really noticed when I bought it. The entire blank is covered in wax. Is this a bad thing? I paid about 50 bucks for it.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Is that on the wax..

under the wax,..

or everywhere?

I would be surprised if under the wax. But, I learn something everyday.

Alan

·
Registered
996 Posts
Rub it down with a Clorox wipe to kill the mold and I would get a new box. I wouldn't want a moldy box in my closet just so there's no chance of the mold spreading into the house.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rub it down with a Clorox wipe to kill the mold and I would get a new box. I wouldn't want a moldy box in my closet just so there's no chance of the mold spreading into the house.
Alrighty, The box was closed on the top. But I'll have to wipe down to prevent anything else growing on it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Molds will grow on just about any surface that can provide a food source, wax is organic- so there ya have it. +1 on cleaning with very diluted Clorox--that'll do.
On another note; if the blank is completely encased in wax, it'll take a long,long.long (like =never :yes:) time to dry--something to consider if planning to use it.
Before I learned that I could get all the wood I ever need basically for free, I used to buy some off ebay, had to rough turn green and let set--mold never an issue. (Oh-about the wood-- I live in a rural area and take care of many ranchers etc that are happy to give downed trees a new home :smile:)
Dave H

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Molds will grow on just about any surface that can provide a food source, wax is organic- so there ya have it. +1 on cleaning with very diluted Clorox--that'll do.
On another note; if the blank is completely encased in wax, it'll take a long,long.long (like =never :yes:) time to dry--something to consider if planning to use it.
Before I learned that I could get all the wood I ever need basically for free, I used to buy some off ebay, had to rough turn green and let set--mold never an issue. (Oh-about the wood-- I live in a rural area and take care of many ranchers etc that are happy to give downed trees a new home :smile:)
Dave H
Thanks for the help. I need to find a connection like that to some large quantities of wood.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hmm.... might be, but if they are--they'll turn out and likely will be a source of spalting.
Dave H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts