Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a silly question but what does everyone use to put on their cast iron tool tops? And where do you get it?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I use paste wax that I believe is called Crystal Wax. I get it at WoodCraft. One can will last a lifetime if just using it for tool tops.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Any god paste wax that doesn't contain silicone will work. It helps if you warm the iron up with a blow dryer or heat gun before applying the wax.

Possibly the best, particularly if you live in a climate where there is enough moisture to cause rust, is Boeshield. It has a good reputation for being way to apply, and effectiveness as both a rust inhibitor and lubricant.

·
7,222 Posts
Lots of options. A number of threads on the topic.

WD-40
Johnsons paste wax, or any wax without silicone
Boeshield T-9

A number of other commercial products. Whatever you use will need to be re-applied periodically.

These days I find the WD-40 is easiest and least expensive to use. Most of us have at least one can around. Also helps to remove the start of any rust stains.

·
7,222 Posts
Fine Woodworking did a comparison of the different products for rust removal/prevention in #227 May 2012. These included oils, sprays and waxes, including WD-40.

"All of the products discolored wood when applied directly to it, but none of them interfered with the topcoats."

The article rated CRC 3-36 as the best performer, but WD-40 also performed well.

I have passed a lot of wood over my tools and never had a problem with any of the methods I have used to protect the metal, Johnsons Paste Wax, Boeshield T-9 or WD-40.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
GlideCote is better than wax, IMO.

GLIDECOTE®/TOPCOTE® features a unique fluoropolymer technology that dramatically reduces sliding friction on table saws while it repels dust, dirt, moisture and prevents corrosion. Its dry formula contains no silicone or petroleum and it will never stain wood or interfere with glues or finishes.

GlideCote forms a durable, water-repelling dry film on saw tables and tool surfaces to reduce sliding friction and eliminate surface "hang ups." Compared to paste wax, GlideCote is 30% slicker, prevents rust longer and is easier to use.

Benefits:
Contains no silicone
Prevents rust 5 times longer than wax or silicone
Lasts 3 times longer than wax

·
2,442 Posts
GlideCote is better than wax, IMO.

GLIDECOTE®/TOPCOTE® features a unique fluoropolymer technology that dramatically reduces sliding friction on table saws while it repels dust, dirt, moisture and prevents corrosion. Its dry formula contains no silicone or petroleum and it will never stain wood or interfere with glues or finishes.

GlideCote forms a durable, water-repelling dry film on saw tables and tool surfaces to reduce sliding friction and eliminate surface "hang ups." Compared to paste wax, GlideCote is 30% slicker, prevents rust longer and is easier to use.

Benefits:
Contains no silicone
Prevents rust 5 times longer than wax or silicone
Lasts 3 times longer than wax

Where those stats just pulled from thier website? Thats most definately not real world results.

I havnt found a product that makes my tools slicker. It absolutely dosnt last longer than wax and its definately not durable. The only time I have ever had issues with my tools rusting was when I used this product. Its a great product if you reapply it every other day. I only reapply wax about once a month. Cost should also be a factor when you consider how often it needs to be aaplied to be affective. Its kind of like the auto parts places that give you a lifetime warranty on the more expensive brake pads that burn up in a few months. Whats the point?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Where those stats just pulled from thier website? Thats most definately not real world results.

I havnt found a product that makes my tools slicker. It absolutely dosnt last longer than wax and its definately not durable. The only time I have ever had issues with my tools rusting was when I used this product. Its a great product if you reapply it every other day. I only reapply wax about once a month. Cost should also be a factor when you consider how often it needs to be aaplied to be affective. Its kind of like the auto parts places that give you a lifetime warranty on the more expensive brake pads that burn up in a few months. Whats the point?
My real world results are that it is slicker than wax and does last longer. The "stats" are from Constantines site, not from Bostick. As with any product...some like it...some don't.

·
2,442 Posts
My real world results are that it is slicker than wax and does last longer. The "stats" are from Constantines site, not from Bostick. As with any product...some like it...some don't.

It is definately slicker than anything else available. I used to like it, untill my saw top rusted three days after I applied it. Now, it was a very light coat of rust that rubbed right off but still. I havnt had that issue with wax at all and I dont reapply near as often.

·
2,442 Posts
Reactions: mdntrdr

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have neither cold nor moisture problems.

Johnson's Paste Wax every three to six months seems to be just fine.

Johnson's paste wax is available in the floor care department of most grocery stores, Ace hardware and some home centers.

Minwax paste wax is good also. I've seen it in Home Depot.

If you are in the North East, Butcher's Bowling Alley wax is good.

Basically any carnauba base paste wax without silicones is good.

There are some automotive products that can be used however the formulation may vary (with or without silicone) between samples of the same brand. As the automotive finishes vary so do the after market wax formulations. It is best to avoid the automotive products.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts