Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought oak trim at a local home improvement outlet, and my intent is to use it around a new fiberglass tub installation as part of my remodel.

What I want to do is melt paraffin wax and initially seal the oak with it, and then coat with water-based polyurethane. Am I out of my mind, or is this a viable plan for shower trim? The home is for 2 adults, so excess water isn't in the plans at all, and all construction is new.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
I bought oak trim at a local home improvement outlet, and my intent is to use it around a new fiberglass tub installation as part of my remodel.

What I want to do is melt paraffin wax and initially seal the oak with it, and then coat with water-based polyurethane. Am I out of my mind, or is this a viable plan for shower trim? The home is for 2 adults, so excess water isn't in the plans at all, and all construction is new.
If you are going to do anything seal the wood with a marine grade varnish. The best is Epfanes which is available at boat suppliers. Some of the local lumber companies sell Cabot maring grade varnish. It's pretty good. Don't use wax on anything you are going to finish. The wax will prevent adhesion. I assume when you say oak trim you mean red oak. That wood isn't suited for use around water. Regardless of what you do water will eventually get into it and it will turn black.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not a good idea. Applying wax will preclude applying a finish particularly a waterborne finish. The finish will not adhere to wax. Also, the wax will settle into the deep pores of oak and there will be no way to remove it.

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
+1 either wax or finish...not wax then finish. I doubt either would keep oak from getting funky when wet over time.

If I were using wood in the shower/steam area, I'd use teak...but that's not what you asked!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with everyone above .

Here is one ya might find interesting , or at least get ya to thinking .

Dissolve styrofoam in some lacquer thinner , you can put 5 gallons of styrofoam in a quart can , if you want, I would guess about 2 gallons of “peanuts” to a qt would be a good ratio .. And use it as an exterior finish . I have done it and tested it , I happen to know where there is a cabin in WVA. that has white pine siding that has stood for over 45 years with nothing else done to it, the old guy some how had gotten mountains of McDonalds coffee cups and dissolved them and used them for the finish. It looks perfect. If ya think about it ,it makes perfect sense .. Styrofoam never seems to deteriorate .. It dries perfectly clear . There are different forms of it out there and the lacquer thinner doesnt dissolve them all, but a little shot of acetone or MEK will get it done . I did some 1/4 plywood, threw it out side and actually forgot about it, it got rained on, froze, 100 degree heat , and everything else for a little over a year, it did nothing . I realize this isnt a practical finish , but it was quite interesting and thought I would share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts