Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ten months ago I completed a dining room table made out of a highly figured walnut slab. I finished it with Waterlox and now have some thoughts about the product.

It was easy to apply for a DIY project. This is the only thing I will say that is positive.

The negatives:
1. Has not worn well. It really scratches easily and the scratches are white and stand out on the table. After ten months of irregular weekly use, it needs to be sanded down and a new finish needs to be done.

2. It darkened and yellowed the wood which in turn made the slab loose much of it's chatoyance. Keep in mind, when it was first applied, it looked stunning and the wood glowed. Over time though much of the beauty and nuance of the wood has been lost.

3. I have tested Waterlox on pieces of maple burl and quilted maple with similar effects. While a bit of amber is nice on the maple as it does bring out the chatoyance, too much and it wood looks like a stain had been used on it.

·
Registered
26,389 Posts
Waterlox is a tung oil varnish blend so it's natural for it to yellow as it ages. If you want something that doesn't yellow you might use a water based polyurethane or a cab-acrylic lacquer. The lacquer would be easier to touch up the scratches. The water based poly may look kind of bland on walnut. You might put a coat of linseed oil on it first to bring out the grain first using the poly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts