Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,892 Posts
That works good on smaller jobs but when I finish a larger job I make a sample board that has half of it stained without the finish and the other half with the finish on it so you can compare the color as you go. Many times millwork is shipped out for installation while other work is still being built and finished.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many times millwork is shipped out for installation while other work is still being built and finished.
Not in any shop I ever worked in. All work is done by elevation and colored and finished in sequence. Most of the work we do is sequence matched veneer and it has to be done that way.

Sometimes we stain and seal first and return to the shop for miter fold or assembly but we never do partial elevations.

·
Registered
26,892 Posts
Not in any shop I ever worked in. All work is done by elevation and colored and finished in sequence. Most of the work we do is sequence matched veneer and it has to be done that way.

Sometimes we stain and seal first and return to the shop for miter fold or assembly but we never do partial elevations.
Many of the shops I worked for including my own were doing bigger jobs than the small buildings would allow. The last shop I managed before starting my own shop was probably only 3500 sq. ft. and we were doing the millwork for entire airport terminals. We shipped out cabinets and wall paneling by the truck load every week. By the end of the week the shop was getting really full so it was necessary to get rid of the stuff to keep working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts