Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm refinishing a guitar, and trying water based lacquer for the first time. I'm hoping in time the lacquer will wear through, showing the current poly finish. I've read on this site about using a dewaxed barrier coat (Bullseye Sealcoat) etc before spraying nitro.
Does the same still apply if I want to spray water based lacquer over then poly coat?
Any tips or things to be aware of when spraying water based lacquer?

Thank you very much,

Jay

·
Registered
26,340 Posts
Uncharted territory. If it were me I wouldn't use any water based product over polyurethane. There is an inherent adhesion problem with even putting polyurethane over polyurethane. I sure wouldn't put any other product including sealcoat over it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, one of the threads on this site talks about Sealcoat before applying nitro. I think I'm going to go that route. The poly under coat has been scuffed really well so I'm thinking adhesion should be good.
I really want to find a dependable water based lacquer, but all my experience is with nitro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Water-based product will NOT adhere to polyurethane. Polyurethane is oil-based. Oil-based products will adhere to water-based products but water-based will not adhere to oil-based.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts