Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stained some large frames using oil based stain (varathane).
I already have some water based clear, and prefer to work with the water base stuff but wanted to make sure it is ok.

I have read the following so far:

- some say its no problem just make sure the oil based stain is completely dry (2 to 3 days)
-others have said to first do a single coat of oil based clear and then add on the water based clear after.
-a few do not recommend it regardless and say it will peel off.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
I recently stained some large frames using oil based stain (varathane).
I already have some water based clear, and prefer to work with the water base stuff but wanted to make sure it is ok.

I have read the following so far:

- some say its no problem just make sure the oil based stain is completely dry (2 to 3 days)
-others have said to first do a single coat of oil based clear and then add on the water based clear after.
-a few do not recommend it regardless and say it will peel off.

what do you guys think?
The problem is the linseed oil in the stain. It takes several days in warm weather for it to cure to directly apply a water based finish over it. If you are in a hurry you can seal the wood in a few hours with zinsser sealcoat (de-waxed shellac) as a barrier coat and then procede with the water based finish. Personally I don't like putting a water based finish over oil based clear. It's suppose to bond however I've had to refinish several kitchens done in this manor and the finish pealed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
As C-man said, you can apply a waterborne finish over an oil based stain. But there is one caveat: the oil based stain MUST be fully dried and cured. I allow at least seven days for the oil based stain to be ready to overcoat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts